Routine – all quizzes, cocktails and demos


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
October 7th 2010
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

En route from French Polynesia to American Samoa


So, as the ship sailed away from Bora Bora, the next stop is Pago Pago in American Samoa, 1114-odd miles away and 2 days sailing - time for Roisin and Chris to get back in to their 'routine'. The routine was by now having a familiar look about it.

Breakfast about 9am then it was down to Club Fusion for the morning trivia.

Day 14 of the cruise, once again, brought success to Chris and Roisin who where now known as ‘the team without portfolio'. The reason being is that the useless knowledge Chris and Roisin have demonstrated when they have been quizzing alone has made others want them to strengthen their team as teams are allowed to have 6 players. On the morning of 6th October, they were quizzing with the Delta Delays. This team consists of Donny and Marie (see earlier blog); Brendan and Trudi (who are good friends back in Derry with relatives of Roisin's) and a couple of American ladies by the names of Kay and Sharon. This particular quiz was hosted by the Cruise Director himself, Rich Joseph who allows up to 8 in a team. The Delta Delays are a formidable team but with Roisin and Chris they are indestructible.

Question: Who played Fagan in the 1970s film starring Mark Lester?

It was on the tip of Chris's tongue.

"Oh! Ron somebody", said Donny

As soon as Chris heard this, the name jumped out, “Moody” he added.

Teamwork!! The ship quiz slogan says, “If you're here for the prizes, you're here for the wrong reasons!! The ball cap prize was added to the collection of 4 ball caps together with their collection of 3 handy Princess logo tote bags. Not only did they win the quiz this morning but also Marie was picked out of the hat and won a Bloody Mary drink. She passed it round for the team to sample.

A bloody Mary”, Chris said, wincing after taking his sip. “They should rename it a bloody awful, more like!!”

Trudi's name also came out of the hat and she won a bottle of champagne that they all drank at the afternoon trivia session.

After the morning trivia its out on deck for sun, a bit of a read or just bask away until lunchtime. There are a number of activities arranged throughout the day such as ping pong, tennis, shuffleboard but to Roisin and Chris, any activity that requires moving a lot is not top of their agenda!!! The only shuffling they are doing is bums on sun beds!!

There are free seminars during this voyage. They are known as ‘scholarship@sea –enrichment lectures'. The lecture on 6th was entitled ‘A fresh look at lighthouses'. After all these years, we've been looking at these structures in the wrong light!!! (Sorry, that wasn't meant to be a pun!). The seminar on 7th October was even better, “Shipboard life in the life of a sail - Sailing vessels of the 16th and 17th century.” These seminars are videoed (before a live audience) and shown on the cabin TV. Remind Chris and Roisin to catch it later. They are too busy playing shufflebum!!

Further to the Survivor challenge a few days ago, the next audience participation Chris and Roisin made sure they gave a wide berth was the ‘Bar Wars: Battle of the sexes cocktail demonstration'. This was held at 1pm at the Neptune Bar, midships. Basically 5 ladies and 5 men stand around while the bar crew demonstrate different cocktails. The men and ladies then individually go head-to-head to attempt to replicate these concoctions. The resulting drinks were then tested by the bar staff and a winner announced. The prize at the end of this was you got to drink your own cocktail. You didn't even get to drink the one's made by the professionals! There were mothers with daughters and uncles with their sons waiting to sign up. This voyage is turning in to the Generation Game.

If audience participation isn't your cup of tea, occasionally you can watch other skilful demonstrations. Chris and Roisin managed to catch the finishing touches to an ice-carving demo. The host was willing onlookers to ‘guess what is'. Right up until the last slither of ice falling to the deck people were shouting out such things as eagle, dragon and bear. So no, they still didn't ‘guess what it was yet' despite it obviously being a giant goldfish!!

Afternoon events can range from line dancing and Bingo to the fastest suduko, art and jewellery auctions. One can listen to fine melodies whilst having afternoon tea (as long as you don't get stuck on a table for 10 with Americans!!) There is also a Dr Bob and Bill W meeting (members only). Roisin and Chris have yet to get to the bottom of this but when they do, I'm sure it'll be good enough to make the blog!

Chris and Roisin are on fixed dining at 8pm so attending the evening entertainment is hit and miss. The theatre has performances at 8:15 and 10:15 and has consisted of the usual array of singers, comics and dancers. A magician has suddenly appeared on board!! (Well, he is a magician!) He has given several polished performances in one of the lounges.

The evening quiz, for the first time was hosted by DJ Thomas. His name has appeared every day in the Princess Patter but is usually associated with 50s and 60s nights or Beatles Hours or (even worse) Karaoke!! He usually resides in Skywalkers Lounge at the very top of the ship and out of the way! This is somewhere Chris and Roisin have not visited since day 1!! This particular quiz was' Name the intro' so I suppose it was apt that he was the host.

He must be the oddest-looking DJ that's ever sailed the ocean blue. Firstly he must be 40 if a day! Nothing wrong with that, you may be thinking. Agreed, however, he had the same hairstyle as Professor Pat Pending from Whacky Races but wore the round national health glasses to enhance his professor look. On top of this, he wore white slacks with a polo neck sweater and a dark blue blazer…buttoned up!!!!

Another hour is lost tonight so on arrival at Pago Pago on 8th October, the Sapphire Princess will be 12 hours behind the UK. For the next few days, this is where timings may get confusing.

Advertisement



9th October 2010

Brilliant and I needed cheering up after the footy. Have you stopped using the gym now?

Tot: 0.335s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb