S. America: 1: Sydney; Auckland; Tonga; American Samoa; Tahiti; Pitcairn Island


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
January 9th 2017
Published: April 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

84 day cruise to South America: Part 1: Sydney; Auckland; Tonga; American Samoa; Tahiti; Pitcairn Island; Easter Island


Monday 9th January: Perth to Sydney

The day had finally arrived after all the planning with the bookings of trip, flights and hotel: obtaining the visa to Brazil and the Reciprocity for Argentina; the shore excursions + all the expectations of going to South America we were on our way.

Up at 4am ready to leave at 5.15am for the airport. Meeting Vera at 6am we checked our cases in and wandered up to the departure lounge before boarding and flying out to Sydney. A bit rough going out of the airport and before coming into Sydney.

We had deliberated about how to get from the airport into town so we decided the best way would be by train which would take us directly to Circular Quay with a short walk to our hotel - the Holiday Inn Old Sydney.

Our room was not ready so the staff offered us complimentary drinks and food. I had a wine, Vera a hot chocolate and we both had a Club sandwich with the most delicious crispy chips.

Philippa and Zoe came to our hotel and we then wandered down to the Quay to watch the Ovation of the Seas sail away. Massive ship and lots of people watching the sailing.

Tuesday 10th January: Weather hot/humid: Steps: 19000: Up and off for a walk around the quay to the Opera House and on the way back picked up a bacon egg bun for breakfast. Back home for a shower before walking a long way towards town looking for a Newsagent. Met Ian at Risini for lunch. This time the Lasagna was really nice and tasty. We had a couple of good hours chatting away about a number of things and of course the cruise we are about to go on.

We made our way to Argyle Street and up flights of steps and a walk across Bridge.

Wednesday 11th. January: Weather hot and humid: 29C sunny: on board the Sea Princess

Up early for a walk around the Bridge. The Sea Princess is in and waiting for us.

Checked cases in and had a drink before embarking. Into our mini suite - oh boy!! Separate toilet to bath and shower and space to move. Lounge area fabulous, even has a kitchen sink. Our deck looks out the back so should be great viewing on sail away days and through the fjords.

We were the only ones at our dinner table tonight.

Port 1: Sunday 15th. January: Auckland,New Zealand: Weather cooler, humid and spitting rain. Up early to see the ship come into port and then brekky. Off for a walk around Auckland and to the Skytower as had ambition to walk on the outside but it is for jumpers only. Went up to level 51 and 60 for fabulous view over the city while we had room to move before the crowds came in. I was brave enough to walk on the glass panels so took photo of my feet on the panel with street view below.

We walked over to St. Matthews Church then down to the marina - some mighty large private boats down there; across the drawbridge back to Queen's Wharf and the Sea Princess.

Had to take one last photo of the Sea Princess at Auckland while Vera sat and waited. We were walking back to the ship when our names were called out - turned around and Noeleen was there with Wayne, daughter and children. What a coincidence to meet then as they had just returned from the island by ferry. We will meet them on our return in April.

Port 2: Wednesday 18th. January: Tonga: Weather very hot/humid: we slowly cruised into the wharf at Nuku'Alofa, Tonga with a reef to starboard and sandbars to port. We had booked a tour (115) so on to a school bus at 0900 into very small seats. Stopped to look at the Royal Palace from the fence, then to the Royal burial cemetery; onto Captain Cook's landing spot and then to the "Rock", back to the ship for lunch then a stroll around the town. Tide was out which exposed more of the reef and fish/oyster cages.

Port 3: Thursday 19th. January: Pago Pago, American Samoa: our around the island tour started at 0900 on another school bus without sides to the seats so easier to sit on. We had a photo stop at a "rock" and at a bay. a golf course, at a Tsunami memorial before stopping at a village for a taste of fish, chicken, bread fruit and a show on how they cook with banana leaves and hot stones. a traditional dance was performed with some of people joining in.

Port 4: Sunday 22nd. January: Papeete, Tahiti: Last night Tahiti had torrential rains with resulting floods, landslides and mud everywhere and power cuts with French authorities declaring a disaster thus not allowing us off the ship. From our balcony we watched as resident shop owners swept mud out of their shops and off footpaths. Grim.

Thursday 26th. January: Australia Day: Pitcairn Island: As we cruised around Pitcairn Island it was a day to celebrate with thong throwing, pie eating and pavlova eating contests.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.404s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 89; dbt: 0.0927s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb