King Neptune Deck Party


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
December 17th 2007
Published: July 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

At approximately 3.45 pm this afternoon we crossed the equator for the second time this trip. It is traditional to celebrate this with a Line Crossing Ceremony (we did not do this the first time we crossed as it was the middle of the night). The ceremony of crossing the line is an initiation rite in the Royal Navy, US Navy, and other navies which commemorate a sailor's first crossing of the equator. Originally the tradition was created as a test for seasoned sailors to ensure their new shipmates were capable of handling long rough times at sea. Sailors who have already crossed the equator are nicknamed (trusty) SHELLBACKS, often referred to as Sons of Neptune, those who have not are nicknamed (slimy) POLLYWOGS. "King Neptune and his Court" (usually including his first assistant Davy Jones and her Highness Amphitrite and often various dignitaries, who are all represented by the highest ranking seaman) officiate at the ceremony during which the Pollywogs undergo a number of increasingly disgusting ordeals, largely for the entertainment of the Shellbacks. (We were safe from any threat of being collared for this as we were already Shellbacks by virtue of having crossed the equator twice in March this year on our Amazon trip). Once the ceremony is complete, a Pollywog receives a certificate declaring his/her new status.

In the 19th century and earlier, the line-crossing ceremony was quite a brutal event, often involving beating pollywogs with boards and wet ropes and sometimes throwing the victims over the side of the ship, dragging the pollywog in the surf from the stern. In more than one instance, sailors were reported to have been killed while participating in a crossing the line ceremony. Our deck party was not quite so brutal but some really disgusting things were done to our fellow passengers. See photos which include our friend Mandy and Dr Death and his nurses. Also included are pictures of King Neptune and his Queen who dish out the punishments to our Pollywogs. The pirates were responsible for dragging the victims to kneel before Neptune. The pirate shown is a guy called Warren who is actually an entertainer who is openly gay and who looks deceptively macho in the picture. His stubble is makeup - he is actually a ginger haired bloke and very fair skinned!!
.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.408s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1922s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb