Panama Canal 2015 5 Mar. Day 14


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
March 5th 2015
Published: March 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Another full day at sea in our velvet prison. We watch the tip of the Baja Peninsula, where Cabo San Lucas is located, pass by in the distance as we continue north. It's not nice to tease us like that.

A beautiful day again. The sea is fairly calm, although there is a stiff breeze. During breakfast, we see diminutive flying fish just above the surface of the water, probably spooked by the ship's passage. It's amazing how far they travel in the air. The birds following our ship avail themselves of the opportunity to swoop down and pick them off.

I spend most of the day reading and relaxing while Violet slowly roasts herself on the poop deck. We attend a presentation on the life and voyages of Captain Cook.

Some bad news from home after lunch: Our cat Lemur has had to be put down. She was almost 19 and we knew she didn't have too much time left, but it's a shame it had to happen when we weren't there. Sad...

In the late afternoon, we hook up to play some cards with a couple from Vancouver we met at dinner one night. They teach us a version of "Oh Hell" named "Wizard." It uses a special deck that adds four "wizard" cards and four "jester" cards that provide an interesting twist on the game. I win, of course.

Tonight is the third and last formal night. Just as we're leaving the dining room, our attention is snagged by a couple dressed in spectacular national costumes that strike us as southeast Asian of some kind. Intrigued, we stop by their table and ask what nationality they are. Although they live in the States, they are Laotians who proudly promote the traditions of their country of origin. Of course, we mention that we were just in Lauang Prabang last October, and we have fun reminiscing about our mutual experiences in that city. Later, we get some photos with this lovely couple.

After dinner, we attend a show entitled "Encore!" featuring two of the ship's singers, Jonathan and Emily, who are classically trained. They run through famous opera pieces intermixed with classical-oriented pop (e.g., Andrew Lloyd Webber). It's another fantastic show. I have to say the musical entertainment on this cruise has blown me away, and I am a tough critic.

Following the show is the Black and White Officers' Ball, attended by the captain and all the ship's officers, who mingle and dance with the passengers. A good time is had by all.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1123s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb