Another day off


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
February 3rd 2012
Published: February 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

10,320 is a pretty big number and it's the number of miles we've travelled so far since leaving Southampton. We've had all sorts of weather in that time: freezing cold, boiling hot, fog, rain, very lumpy seas, flat calm and now that we're heading north up the coast of Mexico towards San Francisco, we're getting cold again. It's not really cold because it's actually 66 degrees here right now and that's at 8.30 in the evening but it's cold compared to the weather we've enjoyed for the last 2 weeks.

So we spent today indoors. We did 2 lectures today: one from a forensic scientist on forensics (no great surprise really!) and he's doing a series of 4 talks all about how people try to commit the perfect murder and how the men in white coats use amazing science to differentiate the innocent from the guilty. Apparently over 300 people on America's death row have been set free as a result of DNA science. His lectures sound like they're going to be fascinating. And who knows, I might pick up a few ideas. Just kidding Richard!!

The other lecture was all about San Fransisco and the ship's company is getting very excited now about that destination. We sail in underneath the Golden Gate Bridge which is America's 2nd largest bridge. We've already been lucky enough to sail under the 1st largest one - the Verrazzano Bridge in New York so it's nice to work on our collection of bridges. On an ocean liner, they're good fun because they are inextricably linked with somewhere exciting. The Sydney harbour bridge will be another good one but we're still nearly 4 weeks away from that.

Tonight is another formal night on board so we're up to the eyeballs in bling and have just downed yet more lobster! The show in the theatre sounds good too so we're all ready for a nice night out.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.356s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb