Beautful Split in Croatia


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Mediterranean » Adriatic Sea
November 8th 2012
Published: November 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well I don't know about Col but I had an amazing sleep last night and even better as we had a sleep in this morning as our boat wasn't docking until 10am this morning so the tour couldn't start until 10.30am. Our breakfast was bought up to us and we decided we would eat it on our balcony, very posh..... the sun was shining the sea was sparkling and we could see the many islands that make up this area as we slowly moved forwards towards Split. A wonderful way to start the day I could get use to this...

Having docked we got onto our bus for a trip to the old city of Split, the town of Trogir and then onto a little village for some traditional food, wine and music...

I have to say the city of Split is beautiful in fact the whole coastal area of Croatia is quite incredible many times as we drove the scenic way to the other places the views took our breath away.. the weather helped as it was t shirt weather which is quite different to the cooler days we experienced in Italy.

The old township of Split was built as a retirement place for the emporer and it is huge, it was about the 5th century, and the new township has been built around it. We wandered around and once again all roads lead somewhere and you never know what you might come across as you wander around. Split has a huge bazaar market with loads of things to buy, the undercroft of the castle is now all shopping and it is amazing to look at these structures knowing that they were built so long ago. The Old city has four gates and these gates are still useable and visible today, people continue to live within the old city. Split itself is quite large in fact much larger than I thought however along the beach front there are cafes and comfortable places to sit and have meals and coffees, Croatian style.. I could get use to that.

They even built a viaduct as part of the system to bring water in from the mountains and that still works today, incredible processes from such long ago. Split is beautiful if I havent said it before, Split is beautiful...

Anyway we headed off to the next township of Trogir which is a medieval town built on an island with once again a wall all the way around it, it isn't very long it is about 300m x 250m but boy have they packed it in. We walked the whole area and within that small area there are a number of churches and chapels COl thinks she said about 60 churches and chapels in this small area. Funny enough each little town, space seems to have a clock tower and it is this clock tower that you can see from almost anywhere. Trogir is really unique, pretty and a UNESCO site the whole area is a UNESCO site. There are a number of Marinas around the site and apparently in the high season if you want to spot a celebrity Trogir is the place to go. It is really special and as we walked away I said to Col I could holiday here quite easy.

The tour guide provided us with loads of history and information which is great, however being visual I go on how it feels and what it looks like, others were taking notes of what she said it takes us all to make the world tick. it felt fabulous.

Back onto the bus for the trip to the little village for lunch, the roads were long and winding but boy the views were incredible, families in Croatia own olive trees and in fact the more Olive trees you own the better off you are. So the landscape is filled with Olive trees, pine trees and limestones everywhere. There are little shepherd huts every now and then that the shepherds use to use when they were looking after the sheep, very cute... and of course you have the amazing views out to sea and the other islands that are around this part of the adriatic sea.

We arrived in the little village and went into a traditional old home and area and it really was quite incredible what they use to pack into a housing space, a shared kitchen away from the rest of the home, several bedrooms, a loungeroom and somewhere to eat and of course an outside eating area as the mediterranean weather allows for sitting outside. An area for fruit trees and vegetables, chickens and even a donkey. Anyway when in Croatia do as they do and before they eat they have a strong drink, I called it rocket fuel, they called it wine.... however it warmed the oesophegus up as it slowly went down.

Bread with olive oil and pepper, pork and pickled cabbage and some donut holes, more red wine and some traditional music made for a wonderful day. It was great to sit and be able to chat about all things, around the table were Americans, Canadians, New Zealanders, Englanders and of course us Aussies.. a great day..

It gets dark early here now so by 4.30pm the sun was setting and we spent another hour wandering around the old township, one of the biggest challenges for today was finding our way onto the dock to get back onto the boat, finally we arrived and we collapsed onto our lounge for a rest before dinner.

Col and I have got into a habit of having tea a little late, blogging and then going for coffee before retiring back to the cabin where Aldo would have turned back our bed, tidied up the cabin, left us notes for tomorrow and placed our PJ's ready for us to put on... I wonder if Aldo can come home with us...

Tonight we sail to Drobnovik in Croatia another great day.. Croatia is a beautiful country I look forward to tomorrow. nighty night all. xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb