Bali Java 2010


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Indian » Java Sea
November 3rd 2010
Published: November 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 1
It was a long day of traveling but we have already had e-mails from our scouts (Patricia & Carol Hall) that all is well and the hotel, guides, etc. are excellent. We were sure lucky to get in contact with these guides through Bill and Mary Cunningham. They are three brothers who are excellent artists and guides and drive to make a living. Everyone in Bali is either royalty or an artist. When the Muslims forced the Hindus out of Java the artistic and royalty went to Bali in the 16th and 17th century.

I left yesterday and went through LA and then had a 13 hour flight to S. Korea. I will be meeting Paul Martin, Linda and Patt here in Seoul and then we will get to Bali just after midnight. Korean Air and going through Seoul are great. Korean Airlines has plenty of excellent cabin help and they also have the systems down for quick service of meals, etc. The big surprise is the airport in Seoul. It is new but they really know how to treat the guests of their national airline. Free Wi-Fi, free computers, free layout beds for sleeping and the best thing: free bathrooms with showers. They are clean and as well appointed as any hotel I have ever stayed in. If you don't have a towel, for $6.00 you buy a shower packet with towel, tooth brush, tooth paste, and soap. They have free carts and excellent shops. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I think this is a deliberate strategy by the Korean government to help their national airline and tourist trade, and to encourage outside investment in the country. They really make you feel comfortable without nickel and diming you to death.
The food was interesting and the contrast stark. I had a great Korean lunch. They had a Burger King, a KFC and the Korean version of fast food in one area. At the Korean place, you ordered from the cashier and then she marked which window you went to. One window was all the soup meals, probably 15 different hearty soups. One was the Kimshi type dishes (rice porridge with different meats, seafoods, flavorings and sauces, and one was the heartier meals. I had a breaded cutlet with curry sauce, seaweed, rice and vegs. It came with a seafood/noodle soup. The burger king, KFC and the Korean meals were all $7-$8. As I was leaving, I noticed that all the people in the KFC and Burger King line had 20 lbs to 40 lbs on the people eating at the Korean place. I was the only person with extra weight eating in the Korean place. I have a hard time imagining why you would eat at a Burger King or KFC when you have healthy great food available for the same price. I guess I have spent too much time in the KFC-Burger King line.
One of the cultural things I did notice were groups of Koreans all talking at once and raising their voices to be heard over the others. It sounded like a Collins’ family get-together.

On to Bali


Advertisement



3rd November 2010

Alls Well
Good to hear from you and hear all is going well. Great service in Korea! Weather here is still very nice - in the 50's & sunny. Jeff's working hard! Had 10 ladies in for Bible study yesterday; Sharon made some great soup. I made chicken salad sandwiches and Joan brought a great cake! Thanks for letting friends use your driveway. They pick up their car today. Good to hear of your adventure! Anxious to hear more! Shyla
9th November 2010

Jim - I'm glad you're doing well. The house is coming along, a bit messy but progress can be seen. Rascal looks forward to seeing Makenna. I think he's figured out that he will get food when she comes over. All is well at home here on Clinton Avenue. Have a great time. - Nancy
13th November 2010

Nancy & Jeff
Glad to hear that Mckenna and Rascal are getting along, that is a pair of strong wills. Give my best to the crew. Jim

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0912s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb