Panama Canal 2015 25 Feb. Day 6


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Caribbean
February 26th 2015
Published: February 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Another full day at sea as we sail west towards Panama. I spend a good part of the day fighting with Internet connectivity, which is truly aggravating. It's clear the upload speed is severely restricted, which makes good sense for people surfing and checking web-based email. But for someone trying to upload a blog entry, it is maddening. I haven't dared to try uploading a picture yet since I can barely get plain text through the pipe.

We attend a couple of presentations today. The first is on the history of the Panama Canal. At the risk of descending into pedantry, I will share a synopsis with you.

The Spanish arrived in central America in the early 16th century. As we learned in school, the explorer Balboa was the first white man to cross the isthmus to reach the Pacific Ocean. The overland route, although perilous, became an important economic lifeline. At the Pacific side, Panama City emerged as an important port. It was attacked and sacked by various nations and by pirates during the 17th century, notably by Henry Morgan, who left it in flames.

Although a railway line was eventually pushed through the Panamanian jungle, the dream of an intercoastal water passage never died. The first serious attempt at building a canal was made by the French in 1881, led by Ferdinand de Lesseps, who had masterminded the Suez Canal. Lesseps envisaged a sea-level crossing and could not be dissuaded from this course even after it was revealed to be manifestly impossible. As well, the French had simply underestimated the challenges posed by the Panamanian jungle and swamp, heavy seasonal rains and flooding, and diseases like malaria and yellow fever. After 10 years, a huge outlay of money, and 20,000 deaths, the project was abandoned. It precipitated a huge political scandal in France.

The U.S., under the Teddy Roosevelt administration, recognized the huge economic potential of a canal, particularly with the advent of the California gold rush. However, they were rebuffed by the government of Colombia, which controlled the region. The U.S. then backed rebels fighting for an independent Panama, and when they declared independence in 1903, immediately recognized the government and sent in warships to protect them. After concluding a treaty with the new country of Panama, the U.S. began work on the canal in 1904, taking 10 years to accomplish what had seemed impossible: constructing an elevated canal system using locks from the Atlantic to the Pacific. In the process, they dammed the Gatun River and created Gatun Lake, the largest man-made lake in the world.

Why did the U.S. succeed where the French failed? There are many reasons: the decision to use a lock system; advanced water management, which included damming the river and creating a huge inland lake to solve flooding problems; control of disease through anti-mosquito measures; decent housing and support infrastructure for workers; and better construction machines and materials, including the extensive use of concrete.

In 1977, under the administration of Jimmy Carter, control over the canal was given to Panama, effective 2000. However, in the 1980s, the military government of Noriega took control and plunged the country into fear and chaos. Eventually the U.S. intervened once again, and the country became a democracy, albeit a shaky one.

Back to our day on the ship. The second presentation is given by a very special guest: Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th President of the United States, in the flesh! He explodes onto the stage chanting "Bully!" and proceeds to enthrall us with stories about his life and especially about the construction of the Panama Canal, which he assures us was the greatest achievement of his administration.

We opt for an early supper tonight because we want to rise early to witness our entry into the Panama Canal system. The entertainment tonight is a singer/pianist named Heather Sullivan. She presents a decent show showcasing great women singers of the 20th century. The audience loves her, but I am less impressed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb