Panama Canal 2015 22 Feb. Day 3


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Caribbean
February 24th 2015
Published: February 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The Veendam's route is first due south from Florida to the coast of Cuba, then a leg eastward to gain the channel between Cuba and Hispanola, then south again across the Caribbean to the first port of call: Cartagena, Columbia. We receive some disappointing news: the ship's delayed arrival and departure means that one port of call has to be cut. We will not be visiting Ixatapa, Mexico. I was looking forward to a tour of the Mayan ruins there.

Today is a totally relaxed day at sea. In the morning, we attend a presentation on Cartagena, focused on shopping. We spend the entire afternoon playing duplicate bridge, 10 tables. Vi is an old hand at this, but it is the first time for me. The structure of duplicate bridge is somewhat intimidating, and I don't play that well, although I do deftly pull one 3NT hand out of the fire. I don't find duplicate bridge a good way to meet people, either. Although you sit down with 19 other couples, chit-chat is discouraged and you have to get through the hands quickly, so there's really no chance to connect.

Formal dress tonight. We attend the captain's welcome party, then go to supper. Our table mates are two couples from England, who are extremely good company.

A tribute to Bob Mackie musicals is tonight's entertainment. High energy and very enjoyable.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1796s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb