Oceans and Seas » Caribbean » Gulf of Gonâve
April 13th 2011
Published: April 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Coco Cay

Awoke early, had breakfast in the dining room (smoked salmon or course) and headed to the tender station. Since Ann and Bill had been there before they led the way to a lovely area far from the crowds. We found lounge chairs near an umbrella where we would have shade later in the day. I headed to the water with my snorkel gear knowing full well that the sightings would be slim. I could wade 500” from shore and still be up to my thighs. It was the only recent snorkeling I have done that the only fish was spotted while I was putting on my fins. Still the water was warm and salty and the sun was shining, the terns were fishing and the gulls were too. Back at the lounge a couple of island chickens foraged nearby.
At 11:00 we met the group for the nature walk. We learned about the Bahamas, the islands and cays and the differences between the two, sighted one iguana on the ground and a couple in the trees. It was really warm and humid as we walked along the road and into the brush. Our guide, Florence, pointed out the various trees and vines that bush doctors have used to treat accidents and illnesses. We ended up back near our lounges and I stayed behind while Ann, Bill and MaryLu went for lunch. About 2:30 we headed back to the ship.
After a brief nap it was time to dress for formal night. It was fun to see the youngsters in their finery. Almost everyone made an attempt to dress up. Dinner was escargot, lobster bisque, filet of beef (outstanding) and a cheese, fruit and nut platter with coffee. During dinner Bill and my ears perked up as we recognized the theme form Faulty Towers. We are both great fans. From out perch, we could look down at the Captains Table and see that their service was slower than ours. Oppps.
The Captain’s welcome reception takes place in the Promenade where the Champaign flowed freely and we were able to get a seat and watch the crowd. In the center of the Promenade is a “flying bridge” that can be raised and lowered. That is where the entertainment was that preceded the Captain’s welcome. Scheduled to start at 7:45, it was closer to 8:15 when he arrived. I hope wt wasn’t the waiters fault he was late. He is very personable and has a sense of humor.

The show was a production number and was quite inventive but I wasn’t impressed with the voices. There were two women in the audience who were spotlighted throughout the performance and they took turns signing for a group. It must have been a really intense experience for them to interpret a musical in sign language.

Wandered through the casino where I watched Roulette and Craps while MaryLu played the slots and came away ahead by $5.
Met Bill and Ann in the Schooner and enjoyed the piano man. He is a talented pianist and just does number after number without the intervening patter. It was a real treat and we all sang along from Buffet to Sinatra to Elvis, Jerry Lee, Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins, on to Billy Joel and Dino and others. Then to bed for a well ea


Tot: 0.029s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0063s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb