Day 26 – New Year’s Eve at Sea


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic
December 31st 2012
Published: January 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Things calmed down a bit during the night as we get closer to the mainland, and we have left the cold and wet weather behind as we move back toward the equator. We still have 15 – 20 foot seas, but very little wind. Although out next stop is in Puerto Madryn on the Argentinian coast, we heard a weather report that our following destination, Montevideo (Uruguay), was experiencing 95 degree F temps at 1000 this morning. We have decided Puerto Madryn will be an internet/catch-up day, as it is New Year’s Day here as well, and most places will be closed for the holiday.

One note of interest from the Navigator’s log last night: The Star Princess has aboard a “NACOS Integrated Navigation Bridge System,” which utilizes three GPS systems that keep us within 2-3 meters of our computerized track, by constantly adjusting our speed and track, as well as five integrated short-to-long-range Radar system that watch for traffic, and automatically warn our command control team on the bridge, as well as other equipped ships, that this 110,000 ton behemoth is bearing down on them….. And Steve thought flying an airplane was getting to be a lazy person’s job! He has signed up for a behind the scenes tour of the bridge and engine rooms, but there has to be enough people signing up in order for this to take place, and so far, no word.

As we prepared for the New Year the seas and wind increased, but during dinner we were able to see a rainbow at sea, which is good luck. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner, went dancing, and partied the New Year in with style. We actually did make it until midnight this year, which is the first time in a LONG time for both of us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb