A Well Deserved Day of Rest


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » Atlantis
July 11th 2016
Published: September 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 64.028, -35.5487

Today is a sea day and we have no planned activities. Well, not exactly. I want to go to a lecture on Greenland at 10am, Karen has laundry to do, we have a Mariner's luncheon at 1pm and our passports need to be picked up at 3:30pm. Add to that breakfast, lunch, gala dinner and the 8pm show and we actually have a pretty busy day ahead of us.

It's breakfast as usual but I'm carrying my IPad with me all day so I can use any free time to catch up on my blog. Karen goes back to the room to bag up the dirty laundry while I head to the lecture. She has conceded that paying $20 for a bag of clothes to be professionally cleaned is easier than going to the laundromat. Arriving at the lecture early, I work on the blog until location guide Barbara begins her talk on Prince Christian Sound, Qaqortoq and Nanortalik, all places located in Greenland which is our next destination. Her information is always interesting and her presentation continues until 11am. Completing her laundry order and placing it on the bed for our room steward to pick up, Karen joins in the lecture about halfway through.

We attend the Mariner's Society Luncheon where the ship's captain addresses all of us and directs a toast to all of us and our future travels with Holland America. At our table is a Chinese couple from Toronto and another pair from San Diego. We receive the usual Holland America souvenir tile for cruising with HAL and finish our lunch. It's 3pm so we pick up our passports from the office. They have been holding them since just before Iceland. Returning to our room for some rest and blogging, we then get dressed to attend our formal dinner. I wear my suit and Karen's in a nice cocktail dress. We enjoy our dinner but finish late, much later than usual. We hurry to the theater but by now, seating is all but gone except for the dreaded pole seats. We haven't been impressed with the Rotterdam Singers & Dancers so we skip the show entirely and return to our room for the night.

A note left on our bed by our cabin steward reminds us to move our clock back 1 more hour tonight. That's three hours back in the last four days. We're getting closer to EDT as we approach Boston in a week.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb