At Sea, Crossing the Bay of Biscay


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » Atlantis
October 13th 2007
Published: October 29th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The Bay of Biscay is named (for English speakers) after Biscay on the northern Spanish coast, probably standing for the Western Basque Districts (Biscay up to the early 19th century). Its name in other languages is: Asturian: Golfu de Biscaya, Basque: Bizkaiko Golkoa,. Breton: Pleg-mor Gwaskogn, French: Golfe de Gascogne (named after Gascony), Galician: Golfo de Biscaia, Gascon Occitan: Golf de Gasconha, Spanish: Golfo de Vizcaya. The Continental Shelf extends far into the bay, resulting shallow waters in many areas and thus the rough seas for which the region is known. Large storms occur in the bay, especially during the winter months. The Bay of Biscay is home to some of the Atlantic's fiercest weather and abnormally high waves occur here. Up until recent years it was a regular occurrence for merchant vessels to founder in Biscay storms.

Although we had a relatively smooth crossing the "Bay of Biscuits", many of the passengers were sea sick. M signed up for both the Art Class and the Craft Classes. Our cabin, although inside, is incredibly spacious. It is a cabin for 4 and you can much more than swing a cat in it. We are really pleased. After breakfast and enrolling on the classes, we spent the rest of the morning unpacking. Then lunch. After lunch we explored the ship some more.

Dinner was the same 7 of us. Donald's partner Jackie was still too sea sick to make it! Despite the fact that the sea was relatively calm, the dining room was less than half full!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb