Days 45 - 53 Back on the Road Again!


Advertisement
Oceania
May 30th 2015
Published: May 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

kidskidskids

Home coming welcome!
Welcome to Darwin folks, it's 6.00 am and 25 degrees.

That was the announcement by the pilot when we flew back in to Darwin yesterday morning. Can't complain about that!

The few days at home were great and went very quickly. Admittedly we did suffer from the cold a fair bit! You know it's going to be cold, you've experienced it all your life. Bit we didn't get a chance to acclimatize! Brrr. Travelling in the bago today in 33 degrees it's just hard to get your head around the vast differences in the weather!

We had 3 little grandies at home to spend time with and 2 bigger ones to visit locally so we got some lovely nana and pa time. But just enough time to have your heart entangled all over again and remember what you're missing. Unfortunately nana has struggled a bit with a very sore heart but I'm sure I will be fine soon enough. A head cold didn't help the situation either. Feeling a lot better this morning as we travel towards the WA border. Good weather is a great healer!

We did manage a few housekeeping things whilst back home , cars, banking etc and I spent a few hours at my new job getting to know a little bit of the lay of the land. Lovely school, lovely people and gorgeous little kids. Very excited about that!

Yesterday we arrived early into Darwin (you remember, 6.00 am 25 degrees??) and we were super pleased to find the bago ready and waiting!! We changed out of our winter clothes and hit the road.

We hadn't slept on the plane but for a tiny catnap here and there so Rob stopped for sleep before Katherine. It was super hot by now! Katherine is a large town that services Nitmuluk national park which is one of the must sees in NT. We had been before so have crossed it off the bucket list all ready. But go if you can it's awesome!

We were able to restock the Bago with fresh foods before turning right and heading West! It's the Victoria highway that takes you to WA and the roads are great. Considering the sleepless night he had on the plane Rob did a great job and we got to Victoria River roadhouse in the Gregory National park for an
Gregory national parkGregory national parkGregory national park

Looked better than this!
overnight stop. I was still feeling very ordinary so we crashed early for a relatively good nights sleep!

Today we are doing a 750 k day so we can be in Broome by Sunday night. Whilst the scenery in the Gregory National park is superb we still need to have ocean close by to be completely happy and grounded.

None the less the landscape is beautiful. Great escarpments cut into the ridges of the mountain ranges. Not a lot of water except for the Adelaide River, it was magnificent! But you go over heaps of bridges with grandly named rivers and creeks but no water!! And we are starting to see the Boab trees. Some are huge and after the wet season quite engorged! Some absolute rippers!

Sadly we were stopped at the WA Border and our fruit and veg shop at Katherine proved to be 'fruitless' Had to hand over all fresh produce! Ate 2 bananas and an apple in record time but that's all we could save! Oh well we obviously didn't do our homework well enough! Good news was, when we got to Kununurra we were able to restock with better fresh produce anyway.
Gregory national parkGregory national parkGregory national park

See the Boab tree
The Ord river and Lake Argyle allow some fabulous fruit and veg to be grown here, so we got some very nice stuff.

WA is very nice landscape so far. Red and dusty but also a lot of green. And OMG we had mobile signal for most of the journey! WA knows how to do it! We managed to get quite a distance today and have stopped at a place called Larrama Station. Its a working cattle station and a beautiful lady called Wendy has hot showers and loos for passing travellers. We were late in so havent had a great look around yet, but the sunset was phenomenal! It's super quiet and the night sky is magnificent!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

boab treeboab tree
boab tree

They are remarkable aren't they
Western Australia!Western Australia!
Western Australia!

About to lose our fruit and veg!
WAWA
WA

Tried to capture the different coloured sands . It was distinctly white, yellow and red!
Boab and meBoab and me
Boab and me

Actually this was relatively small, many are huge!
WA SelfieWA Selfie
WA Selfie

Couldn't resist another selfie!
WAWA
WA

The rocky outcrops were magnificent
Larrawa StationLarrawa Station
Larrawa Station

The bago is going off road!
Larrawa StationLarrawa Station
Larrawa Station

The setting sun in the sky was so beautiful and created awesome colours


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.046s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb