Kiwi Trivia, Maori Legends & an Air Raid Siren


Advertisement
Oceania
December 30th 2014
Published: December 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

If you've ever wondered how New Zealanders got their nickname "Kiwis" and haven't gotten around to Googling it, here's your chance for an easy answer. Are they named for:

The fruit, the bird, or the shoe polish? (Answer in a moment)

The first inhabitants of New Zealand were the Maori, who came from Eastern Polynesia in the 13th century, and their heritage and culture is very prevalent in the country today. Our first stop in NZ, Queenstown, sits on the shores of Lake Wakatipu which is shaped like a giant S, or like someone lying in the fetal position. My favorite Maori legend so far has it that a local chieftan sent his best warrior, and future son in law, to rescue his daughter from the fierce giant, Matau, who had kidnapped her. The warrior/hero, Matakauri crept up on the sleeping giant and set fire to him. The fire burned a deep hole in the earth and melted the snow and ice in the surrounding mountains, forming the lake. The lake has a 9" tidal flow about every hour, which is said to be the giant's heartbeat that could not be destroyed. Wakatipu means "hollow of the giant."

OK, ready for the trivia answer? Did you guess the fruit? Uh-uh. The shoe polish? Nope. The nickname comes from the national bird and is derived from WWI when NZ regiments used the bird as a symbol of their regiment & nationality. The nickname was referred to with pride and is used warmly today by citizens and non citizens alike.

We've really enjoyed our stay in Queenstown. The people are engaging, adventurous, have a great sense of humor, and always ready to help. There's a great vibe and a real charm to the area that is not found in too many places. Kids still hitchhike around here which says a lot about the trust and safety that people enjoy in this region. There are a lot of small inns and hotels but very few large chain resorts which adds to the charm and makes for a more interesting experience. Our hotel is small and includes a daily breakfast and a happy hour (which usually lasts at least 2 hrs). We've really enjoyed meeting/talking with people from around the world during these times - something we don't typically experience in our travels. Besides being fun, it is a great way to compare tips and stories about things to do in the area. One curious event that occurs every evening or two is a blasting of the town's emergency/fire siren. It is shockingly loud and sounds like an air raid siren. Answers to our queries about the siren have included: "don't worry, it's usually a false alarm", "they're testing the system", "yeah, the fire dept does that sometimes", and "what siren?" (said with a sly grin in an understated manner typical of many Kiwis). I'm not conifident we'll solve the mystery of the air raid siren before heading north, but perhaps some things are better left unanswered.

We've tried our best to participate in the adventurous activities in and around Queenstown, but in four days it feels like we've only scratched the surface. Jet boating on the Shotover River, horseback riding in Paradise (actual name of the area), street luging, flying through and below the tops of the Southern Alps in a 10 seater and canyoning (something I always thought was noun until today), were our favorite activities so far. The adventures available here are only rivaled by the incredible natural beauty of the area, and the scale is impossible to capture in the pictures, but I've posted some that I hope come close. Will try to get a couple of short videos up tomorrow to add some action to the blog. Hope everyone is well.

Cheers!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement






30th December 2014

Love it Chris! Looks like you guys are packing in a ton of activity. Keep it coming!
31st December 2014

Scenery is amazing in all the photos. Love the Minus 5 Ice Bar! If you really enjoyed it and want to go back, they have two Minus 5 Ice Bars in Las Vegas; one at Mandalay Bay and one at Monte Carlo hotel/casinos. Had a blast there a few years ago. You all look happy and like you're having fun;-). Cheers!

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb