West Auckland / Waitakere Ranges Walks New Zealand


Advertisement
Oceania
November 8th 2014
Published: November 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Screenshot_2014-11-09-11-33-11Screenshot_2014-11-09-11-33-11Screenshot_2014-11-09-11-33-11

A Pohutakawa New Zealand Christmas tree just coming into flower
The best thing about being in New Zealand is obviously being able to spend time with Kris Nick and Leaf, my sister's family. They all 3 gave us a lovely welcome at the airport.

Kris Nick and Leaf moved into their new house between New Lynn and Titirangi in West Auckland about a year ago. At that time it was a wreck, but they have obviously been working flat out ever since as it is now very comfortable.

New Zealand is as we remembered from visiting them in Whakatane (Bay of Plenty) 16 years ago,except that we are visiting a month earlier and the children are now all grown ups. The skies are bright and the air is clear, but it is much colder than when we last visited, which was in December. There is a lovely light which reminds me of Scotland (quote from Flight of the Concords 'like Scotland but further away'). The Pohutakawa or New Zealand Christmas Trees are not yet in flower. There are white buds on them and a few red flowers appearing. Last time they were in full flower and the children loved climbing into their stooping branches at the beaches. These wonderful
20141107_16352820141107_16352820141107_163528

A large old Pohutakawa tree with spreading branches, not yet in flower
trees are all around the beaches in Auckla

nd as well as Whakatane, and in a couple of weeks will be a mass of big red flowers.

There are palm and tree ferns which seem very exotic and 'Jurrasic Park' to us, and hedges of white Manuka flowers, from which the manuka honey comes. Also Bottle Brush trees with big red flowers.

Auckland is surrounded by sea with a harbour on the east as well as the west and loads of wonderful beaches and walks. We have had some great walks through the forests, which reach right down to the sea, and along the beaches surrounding Manukau harbour and the Waitakere Ranges to the west of Auckland with Kris and sometimes also Nick as our guide. They know a lot about plants and are able to us all about them. Leaf has mainly been out at work, so sadly we have seen less of him.

First day we took a walk along Cornwallis beach. We were impressed by the sheer size of the harbour. It is almost circular with the ocean inlet out of sight around the corner. Seeing land all around makes it at first look like a big lake.....except that it has a beach and is tidal. The tide goes out a long way. The sands are streaked with black , which Kris explained is due to iron from the volcanic rocks.

Second day we saw a bit of their local area. We looked at the view from the art gallery roof, walked down to Titirangi beach and another small cove. Passed lots of flowers which I was admiring as they were the sort we would have in gardens in Europe. Kris explained that in NZ they were introduced species, and have grown rampant in the wild. Apparantly New Zealanders hate them and they are seen as weeds.

Next day we went out for a walk through the forest from Piha to Whites beach and back along the sands paddling in the sea. A gorgeous walk in the Whaitakare Ranges which border the open oceon. Very varied, including fern forest, views, beach, rock scrambling, climbing cliff side aided by a rope, and a long stretch of sandy beach.

Another day we walked from Huia (n

amed after an extinct flightless bird). We walked around the Karamatura valley. We passed Tom
20141105_16504520141105_16504520141105_165045

Start of walk through fern forest
Thumb Tree, which is a very large Kauri tree. The tree disease Dieback is threatening Kauri trees and so you have to brush your shoes with disinfectant when entering and leaving the track, rather like in UK during foot and mouth. The walk went on past tree epiphytes such as Rata hanging from the branches. We passed a very pretty waterfall surrounded by ferns and lush vegetation. The vegetation is lush because there is a lot of rain here......which we have been lucky enough so far to avoid on our walks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Screenshot_2014-11-09-11-31-13Screenshot_2014-11-09-11-31-13
Screenshot_2014-11-09-11-31-13

The white flowers of manuka
Screenshot_2014-11-09-11-32-20Screenshot_2014-11-09-11-32-20
Screenshot_2014-11-09-11-32-20

A few yellow Kowhai tree flowers still in flower
Screenshot_2014-11-09-11-33-23Screenshot_2014-11-09-11-33-23
Screenshot_2014-11-09-11-33-23

These big epiphyte plants grow high in the trees in the forest


12th November 2014

Very enjoyable blog
Just realised that there is an opportunity to comment ! About time then that I let you both know how much I have have been enjoying your posts. Very good mix of the informative and the personal. Now Penny and I have got our move sorted I expect we'll be inspired by your example !

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb