Ballarat


Advertisement
Oceania
December 3rd 2013
Published: December 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

BallaratBallaratBallarat

The remains of the Eureka Flag
Left Frankston this morning and headed for Ballarat,we decided to go direct and use the motorways,sorry no photographs Jackie was to busy braking and guessing what the traffic was going to do next and it wasn't even peak time.Bit of an ordeal but we made it.

Settled into a quite C/P not far from the city and away from the noise and hustle.Once settled we headed off to the Museum of Australian Democracy at Eureka or M.A.D.E as it is now known.The museum is all about the uprising in 1854 when the miners stood up for their rights and it is thought this is where it is thought Democracy was born in Australia.The exhibition tells the story of the uprising and the storming of the stockade by the soldiers and police, at which time over 30 people were killed including some women ,throughout the exhibition there are artifacts of the era as well as stories of the continuing battle for human rights through the ongoing years. Extracts from prime ministers and world leaders including Nelson Mandela adorn the walls and visual effects.Well worth a visit.

The weather turned wet and cold again and put a stop to us visiting
Ballarat Ballarat Ballarat

Eureka so true
Sovereign Hill, a village depicting a bygone age with live re enactments and working shops and a smithy, next time. So a bit of shopping and a day inside the van.We decide to head for the coast in the hope of better weather,our destination Warrnambool not far from The Great Ocean Road.The journey was a bit of a trial driving through the driving rain until we reached Warrnambool,we found a great C/P a short distance from the CBD.

Settled in quickly and headed for town and the Information center which is situated next to one of the towns attractions, Flagstaff hill a state registered precinct incorporating a maritime village and Warrnambool garrison.Although not raining at the moment but it was blowing a gale so we decide to have a drive around town and the coastal views.Back at the C/P we settle into more rain and sit and watch T/V.Next day we wake to sunshine a little cold but we are on for the day out,first call Hopkins falls reputed to be one of the widest falls in Victoria,plenty of water following recent rains beautiful.Next stop Tower hill reserve a wet land inside a volcanic crater, so diverse is this
BallaratBallaratBallarat

The exhibition center and flag
park it was declared Victoria's first national park in 1892. Some good walking tracks and beautiful scenery worth making the effort.

We decide to visit Port Fairy and Portland a 200k round trip the weather remains inclement. Port Fairy is a small shipping port dating back to the 19th century which still retains it's old world character and some amazing architectural styles are represented.Surrounding the village are some glorious beaches mostly unspoiled and ready for a sunny day.

Portland is a thriving harbor side city with lots of visitor attractions unfortunately the weather was terrible so we only stayed a short time,maybe next time we will hit brighter weather and tour the sights.

After checking the weather forecast we decide to head inland and away from the coast in search of some sun and warmer conditions,we head for Swan Hill on the NSW and Victoria border.Our journey began with torrential rain and high winds making driving very difficult for the first 2 hrs, which eventually gave way to more easier driving conditions.Now we are seeing high white clouds and no rain.We pass through some delightful countryside ranging from milk cattle pastures to hundreds of ks of wheat and grain fields, we arrive at Swan Hill late afternoon and settle in to a C/P at the edge of town.Tomorrow we will go exploring.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

WarrnanboolWarrnanbool
Warrnanbool

Hopkins falls
warrnanbool warrnanbool
warrnanbool

Wild flowers at the reserve
warrnanbool warrnanbool
warrnanbool

Wild flowers
warrnanbool warrnanbool
warrnanbool

Wild flowers
warrnanbool warrnanbool
warrnanbool

Schooling on the beach
warrnanboolwarrnanbool
warrnanbool

Coast line
warrnanboolwarrnanbool
warrnanbool

Maritime village
warrnanbool warrnanbool
warrnanbool

Gateway to the ocean
Tower hillTower hill
Tower hill

Koala doing what they do best Sleep


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0754s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb