Marnie arrives safely in Savusavu, Fiji


Advertisement
Oceania
June 26th 2009
Published: July 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a magnificent 7 night sail from Auckland, with South Easterlies on the stern quarter, we arrived safely on 25 June. feeling great. First saw land about 120 miles from our destination of Savusavu as the sun rose behind the island - a stunning and memorable moment. Camelia and Matt, the crew we picked up in Auckland are currently looking for another boat possibly onto Vanuatu and we're heading east to Viani Bay to catch up on boat jobs and enjoy the dive sites.

The weather here is delightful with a washdown early in the morning, sunny days in the uppers 80's and cool evening. We made insect screens and have them at the ready but thankfully, so far, haven't been inundated with mozzies/sketers.

We're off exploring the island - have taken a few exploratory excursions in the dinghy to swim around coral heads and enjoy the delights of the fish. Jean Micheal Cousteau has an exclusive resort here which is approached by seaplane and looks very expensive, though uninviting to outsiders as there dock makes clear.

The Australian and New Zealand governments are urging people not to support Fiji by taking holidays here but to newcomers it's not apparent that tourism is suffering. There is a high Indian population in this town with a mean curry available in most restaurants, so life is good.

"Bula" - the Fijian greeting always said with a huge smile by these beautiful islanders. Photos to follow as too slow a connection to upload now.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb