From pollywog to shellback


Advertisement
Oceania
January 15th 2006
Published: January 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The ship held an Equator Crossing Ceremony this afternoon on the pool deck. King Neptune and his court presided over the initiation of all pollywogs (those who have not crossed the equator by sea). Lucky for us our Norwegian Staff Captain, Daniel, and Frankie, one of the entertainers, stood in for the rest of us. They were slimed (that means green goo was spread all over their hair and face) and then dunked into the ship’s pool. Once they had paid the penance for the rest of us neophytes, we were declared “shellbacks” and the Country Fair began. The many ship’s departments had set up carnival booths for games of chance. The goal was to earn as many raffle tickets as possible. We won a few but it’s really hard to throw darts, water balloons, etc on a moving ship. Sorry to say, we didn’t win any of the raffle items but the pina coladas sure tasted good. As we crossed the equator, the ship stopped momentarily, blew the horn and everyone on the pool deck cheered.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

King NeptuneKing Neptune
King Neptune

King Neptune presided over the Equator Crossing Ceremony.


Tot: 0.344s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 26; qc: 149; dbt: 0.1527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb