Kaikoura


Advertisement
Oceania
November 22nd 2018
Published: November 22nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Picturesque Kaioura - note the snow capped peaksPicturesque Kaioura - note the snow capped peaksPicturesque Kaioura - note the snow capped peaks

Borrowed picture.. We did not go up in plane or helicopter
SC writes: Yesterday was our first proper scenic drive in our hire car: Nelson in the North of South to Kaikoura on the Eastern Pacific Coast.

This was an lovely drive with some stunning scenery, bonkers little twisty roads, and most interstingly, clear and significant evidence of the November 2016 earthquakes which devasted this region and closed the main road and railway for many months. The road is open now but it's a major building site for about 20kms. BTW - We are able to share the driving on this occasion having both managed to remember our driving licenses!

Kaikora is a sleepy little town that exists to serve the tourist industry. It still has not got going fully for the summer and we struggled to find a restaurant that was not fully booked (because only a few are operating). We simply had a very tasty fish and chips last night as a result. From our hotel we can see the pacific from the front and the snow capped mountains that run right down South Island from the back. See the borrowed picture. It is very picturesque.

The tourism is based around wildlife and in particular, whale watching. This afternoon, in glorious weather (although a tad chilly) we set forth to spot whales and were duly rewarded with a good sighting on a male Sperm whale. Also a large pod of Dusky Dolphins and a couple of Albatrosses. I managed not to be seasick (I was last time out in Sydney) So it was a good afternoon all round. Tonight we are booked at a decent restaurant .... And tomorrow we travel again down to Christchurch.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Dusky dolpinsDusky dolpins
Dusky dolpins

That's two lots of dophins in a week! Whale pix not on my ipad!!


Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb