Vanuatu - Luganville and Port Vila


Advertisement
Vanuatu's flag
Oceania » Vanuatu » Santo » Luganville
October 17th 2010
Published: October 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

To Vanuatu


We made it to Vanuatu after a great day at Dravuni. Our first stop is the island of Espirito Santo and the city of Luganville. Not much of a city really. Most of the construction was done by the US during WWII. The dock still had some of the original quonset huts.

The town had about 11,000 people. We had set up a shore excursion from the boat to go in a Dugout Conoe up the RIRI river to a Blue Hole. It was a nice ride there. Our guides were sawing out boards for seats when we got there. It started pouring rain and the first Dugout, 5 of the biggest guys got in an almost capsized the boat. It was pretty funny stuff.

We paddled up the river (ended up not being the RIRI) to the end after about 20 minutes. There was this beautiful Blue Hole where the water comes out of the ground to form the river. Only about 10 of 50 swam in it. The rest sat on the little dock complaining and getting soaked in the rain. I guess you can lead them to water, but can't.............

We took the bus back and ended up walking into town. We found a little hotel with free internet and good local beer. Dianne was looking around and found out they gave massages (her favorite thing to do). She ended up having a 1 hour massage from a local women and really enjoyed it! After that we had to head back so she could sleep off her massage.

Just to give you an idea of prices. Local beer was $4. 1 hour massage was $40. Not much different than home. I had figured prices would get cheaper once we had left Hawaii. I think it is the opposite, unless due to our limited time we are not able to figure out the local method.

Luganville was a relaxed place and the people were friendly, if a little reserved. Part of it I think is that Vanuatu and New Caledonia are more french and that is a preferred language (or the local dialect called Bislami. A helicopter is called a "jesus christ mix master" since the missionaries used to travel by helicopter).

I had wanted to see all the WWII relics bulldozed into the ocean after the war. But we did not get near where they had done it (the US had offered it to the local goverment for 7 cents on the dollar, but they did not want to pay - so in the ocean it went. Jeeps, cranes, vehicles etc. seems a waste).

Overnite we went to Port Vila, Vanuatu. The main city of Vanuatu. About 30,000 people and a lot more developed. We ran the gauntlet of taxi and tour hawkers. Drives you nuts on some islands since they really attack. We found a taxi into town and went to a little seaside cafe for cappucino. We hung out not really wanting to drop $100 or 200 on a tour. We visited the 24 hour market where all the locals bought vegetables. 50 vendors all selling the same stuff.

This is the main spot to travel throughtout all the islands. Local boats go to all the islands. Some of them take a week to get to there end destination. All the time sleeping on deck if the boa is full, regardless of the weather.

We found a local bus (van) and just rode around for a while and got a small tour. We got him to take us to a local waterfall that you could hike up and swim in the pools. $15 each to get in. It was very pretty and at the top you could rappel down. The water was nice, but it was crowded. We went back to the ship after, since we are a little Island out.

Our next stop will be Il Des Pins (Isle of Pines in french), which must be nice since it is the ships staff favorite. So we will update form there.

Hope everyone is well and love you all.

Bruce and Dianne


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Actual waterfallActual waterfall
Actual waterfall

Probably 70 to 80 feet high
What was on our bed every nightWhat was on our bed every night
What was on our bed every night

Pay attention Nicole!


17th October 2010

The end is near
Oh yes I have been enjoying the travels of the Laydens.When do you arrive in NZ? I thought it as the 22nd but Peg is probably right ...the 26th. We did go to Wait, Wait. Because it was a radio recording the accoustics were not as good as we thought. Do you get US news? I'm sure you do. Did you get absentee ballots? NY govenor race has taken an interesting turn. Doug is working very hard and doing really well. He's tired. I remember being tired all the time. We haven't been able to connect with Saskia yet and now she has a j-o-b. we probably won't see her until she's about ready to leave. Thanksgiving and Christmas with all of you together...how can you contain your excitement!!! Be well...
26th October 2010

caught up
Finally, I've reached the point where I stopped going backwards. What a trip! Your narrative is delightful. Looking forward to next installment, not that I know where to look. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing. Louise

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb