NZ's native birds


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
September 18th 2016
Published: September 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

NZ has a large number of rare and endangered birds. http://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/native-animals/birds/our-remarkable-birds/ This website will give you good information about them.



Tourists naturally always want to see our native kiwi. The Maori language doesn't have an 's' so we don't plural the word - 1 kiwi, 25 kiwi. These guys are nocturnal and can be seen in a few places such as Rainbow Springs in Rotorua (very expensive) http://www.rainbowsprings.co.nz/kiwi-conservation/ or at Otorohanga http://kiwihouse.org.nz/ . I prefer to see them, and plenty of other birds, at Otorohanga because it is cheaper, a good place to stop as you travel down (or up) the North Island and they often have great deals on www.bookme.co.nz. Plus it is a good size to get round if you are travelling with kids who get bored easily.



Another place to see birds is the huge free-flight aviary at Hamilton Zoo. Be warned - some of the birds are very used to dealing with humans and can be cute and/or a real nuisance. The elusive kaka may come down for a chat (and take the opportunity to check out your clothes - holes are easily created), the tui are usually easy to spot, herons look great in photos, kereru (wood pigeons) may fly past to see who you are (duck as they can be a bit heavy and clumsy) and then there are the kakariki (parakeets). My advice is to make sure you do NOT have any food in your hand or in sight as these little guys may decide you should share it with them and have a nasty beak if you disagree. I had 1 travel throughout the aviary on top of my granddaughter's stroller, with its head in her bag, calmly helping itself to her snacks. That's how I know about their sharp beaks as I had to convince it that it couldn't leave the aviary with us! In order to make the most of the aviary, try to convince kids to be quiet and to just wander through slowly as the birds will vanish if there is too much noise. Who blames them?!



Beside the aviary is the kea enclosure. Stop and have a chat with Charlie. He is the ultra-friendly kea who may be playing dead (on his back, legs in the air, not moving) as this gets him lots and lots of attention. He was hand-reared so knows just how to get the maximum attention. Don't give in to his charm and feed him anything as the birds all require special diets and you also don't want to have your fingers nipped by a kea's large beak. These guys have been described as the most intelligent birds on the planet and are the only alpine parrots in the world. NZers are not always huge fans of the mischievous little horrors as they are terribly destructive in their native habitat in the South Island. Just ask any skiier or snowboarder who has returned to their car to find their wipers/mirrors/trim missing from their vehicle. They have also acquired a taste for human food so tourists having a picnic, while admiring the mountain scenery, may find their food being stolen at high speed.



We also have the world's only nocturnal, flightless parrot - the kakapo. If you can plan ahead, check out Sirocco http://kakaporecovery.org.nz/sirocco/ . Seeing him up close is an amazing experience. He even has his own FB page.



Our wildlife is unique and well-worth checking out while you travel round NZ. Spring is a great time to see and hear tui, especially in places where there are kowhai trees (keep your eyes/ears open if you are near the Treaty Grounds at Paihia). Morepork, our native owl, are often in the same enclosure as kiwi. Pukeko are everywhere, kingfishers are being more abundant and can be see in the wild and gulls of all kinds are found everywhere, including inland lakes. So, if you are interested in birds, do some homework before you arrive so you can make sure you see the ones that interest you the most.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb