Milford Sound


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
February 20th 2009
Published: February 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A typical NZ day.....A typical NZ day.....A typical NZ day.....

...a sheep crossing!!!
Up early as got a long drive ahead. We packed up, this tent is so much quicker , and drove up to the showers...as predicted it was raining today...we had been so lucky with the weather yesterday!
Had maybe our last breakfast with Jess and Jen unless we bumped into them again! At 11am we left, it was a 5 hour driv to Milford Sound and as it was raining we thought it may take longer.
Only 2 hours later we had arrived in Te Anu. We filled up with petrol as this was the last place that sold it and dropped into the i centre. There we were told it wasn't raining in Milford Sound so we though quick lets go! It was another 2 hours to get there. The rain ease off about 30 mins up the road. We got signaled to slow down at one point, turned the corner then realised why...there were literally 1000's of sheep running up the road, they were being moved into another field. We ended up stopping the car and it took 10-15 mins for them all to go by! We are defiently in New Zealand!
We stopped againa nother 30 mins down the road at the last DOC campsite, put the tent up and carried on. It was only $5 each to stay ther but as we didn't have enough change we only paid for one of us! and got away with it!
The drive is lovely, lakes, plaines and mountains. Most of the mountains had ice and snow on the peaks and there were waterfalls everywhere. We drove through a long tunnel and down the hill to MS. We were expecting walks etc but there was nothing there. ALl you could do here was either one of the many boat trips ( $65-80pp ) or the Milford Sound walking track but this was booked up to APril! They only allow so many people at a time on this walk. It was all a little dispointing. We got some photos on the drive back and saw a couple of Kea's, a dark green parot with red under wings.
So back to camp for dinner and sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb