Rotorua to Abel Tasman


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
December 20th 2007
Published: December 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Abel Tasman beachAbel Tasman beachAbel Tasman beach

It is beautiful when the rain stops
After 5 months of fantastic weather in South America it was inevitable that we would eventually hit some rain and sure enough it has struck in New Zealand.

In Roturua it rained, this place really stinks - of sulphur from the thermal action going on underneath it. Despite the rain we wandered around the mud pools and crater lakes and then headed out of town to find a natural thermal pool - we had it all to ourselves, it was very hot and absolutely free.

For the Tongariro crossing it rained - this is billed as New Zealand's best day walk and we could see why it might have fantastic views, ours were mainly spoilt by the rain and mist but it did clear for a 10 minute view of the Emerald Lakes and it was interesting to be walking amongst active volcanoes (one had erupted in September).

In Wellington it rained so we went to the national musuem - this was a real treat and the best musuem either of us have been to and a great display of the pride Kiwi's have in their country.

We then got the ferry from the north island to the south island. At last the sun came out and it was a beautiful ride with great views and even some dolphins playing alongside the ferry.

Then it was onto Abel tasman - where it rained! We had a 3 day sea kayak here, the first morning was great - relatively easy paddling, beautiful beaches and a nice lunch. Our guide then told us it was time to navigate the 'mad mile' which would be particularly difficult due to the strong winds - he wasn't joking either. For an hour and a half we paddled as hard as we good, seemed to go nowhere and felt that capsizing any minute was inevitable. Fortunately we made it to shore and another beautiful beach. The second day it poured with rain and was nearly as difficult (but we did see some seals) and with the promise of a wet night in tents and a paddle back into the wind (which had changed direction) we followed everyone else in our group in a water taxi back to the start and gave up on day 3 - all in all not our favourite experience of the trip but we did see some great beaches, the mentioned seals and meta great group of people.

We are now in Picton where we will meet Clare's parents for what should be a fantastic 3 weeks.

Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone.
Love
Clare and Andy


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Tongariro crossing - Emerald lakesTongariro crossing - Emerald lakes
Tongariro crossing - Emerald lakes

it cleared for 10 mins to give us this view


21st December 2007

Rain
Hi guys, If it makes you feel any better it is still raining in the North Island. We are in Northland, heading up to Spirits Bay and it is pretty soggy here too. Not going to be much comfort to you given the direction you are going but it is still warmer than South Australia. Have a great Christmas and NY. Looking forward to seeing you in January.

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb