3rd time lucky


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
March 6th 2008
Published: March 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

after 2 days of rough seas, on Tuesday the boats were able to run again, and we took off for the high seas. just out of Kaikoura there's a very deep ocean trench where the whales like to sit, just popping up now and then to breathe. We were very lucky to see two, called Taike and Little Nick - he has a little nick in his tail. When they surface its like looking at the tip of the iceberg, you can only see a bit of its back, but the spouting is fun! And of course the tail when it goes back underwater. We also saw performing wild dolphins, who did back flips and bounced along on their tails, and lots of albatrosses. it was great.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

there he blowsthere he blows
there he blows

these whales are all young adults, mums and babies live somewhere warmer!
crayfish lunchcrayfish lunch
crayfish lunch

Kaikoura means "eat crayfish," so I had to really.
railway sleepersrailway sleepers
railway sleepers

we spent the night at a railway junction - old trucks done up as bedrooms. I've always wanted to sleep on a train.


7th March 2008

"your carriage awaits"
Carrie : Your Mum may remember that we used to go to Pakefield (near Lowestoft) with our parents and live in an old railway carriage for our holidays (when we were very little!) And we used to have to get water from a well by winding up a steel bucket on a chain!! (as I remember!!)
7th March 2008

You saw them at last!
Wow that looks fantastic - lucky you got there in the end - it was worth it wasn't it? Was the crayfish nice - I have never tried it before. Did you take a photo of the inside of the railway carriage? The car is still looking good!
12th March 2008

railway carriages
we also used to go to railway carriages when we were very little, but those were in Wales somewhere, as I recall. It sounds like great fun.
15th March 2008

holidys past
I think you used to go to Aberdovey. Your Dad , my mum and george used to go to Pakefield.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb