An Inspiring Birthday Present / Un Regalo de Cumpleaños Inspirador


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
March 25th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Wanaka --> Curio Bay


WANAKA: Puzzling WorldWANAKA: Puzzling WorldWANAKA: Puzzling World

Mark, the incredible expanding man / Mark, el increible hombre creciente
After leaving Mt Cook, the newly weds made their way to Wanaka, a nice little town nestled between mountains and fronted by a lake, very picturesque. It was the day before Maria’s birthday, so as a birthday treat we booked ourselves on a trip that would fly us over the nearby Mt Aspiring National Park, followed by a cruise along the famous Milford Sound. If you don’t want to fly, the only other way to reach Milford Sound is along a 120-km long, dead-end road from Te Anau, which makes for a considerable detour. So going for a scenic flight suited us just fine!

Unfortunately, the weather was not good enough to fly on the day, so we had to take the birthday celebrations elsewhere. We visited the nearby Puzzling World, where we got hopelessly lost in a wicked maze, spending nearly an hour going up steps and across bridges, passing the same spots over and over again and cursing the evil !@#%!(BADWIDTH)%!!(MISSING) who designed it as we tried to find our way out of the chuffing thing. After getting sick in a couple of optical illusion rooms, we then tried our hand at solving some of the many puzzle games lying around in the bar. With a false sense of confidence after solving a 4-piece one (probably aimed at pre-school children), we tackled the grown-up ones, only for Mark to end up having to restrain Maria from throwing them across the room in frustration and taking her away in a bit of a hurry.

He whisked her away to Have a Shot, a shooting range where she could vent her frustration without being prosecuted for it. Here he taught her how to swing a golf club, and after a few goes hitting nothing but air and perhaps a passing fly, she was amazed to find she could actually send a ball flying a few meters too. We also tried our hand at target shooting and archery, and had a jolly good time until they threw us out at closing time.

We spent the next couple of days chilling out and catching up on the blog as the weather took a turn for the worse and we still couldn’t fly. We also saw the photographer (who is based here), and went over the pictures on his laptop. We were a bit disappointed with the results as they had not followed our requests, and we also found many of the pictures were repetitive and some of them even out of focus. We actually struggled to pick 70 (the minimum amount in the package we had bought) that we liked, and when we tried to discuss our concerns with the boss the next day, we found her attitude was somewhat dismissive. All in all we feel we did not receive the professional service we had expected, but at least it gave Maria confidence in her own little talents, and brought her hope that, with some tuition, a lot of practice and good equipment, she might just be able to do a better job herself one day… (she's been trying to find a new career direction ever since we set off).

We were ready to leave the next day if the weather didn’t improve, but luckily the clouds disappeared and the wind stopped blowing so we finally took off. The flight was most definitely worth the wait and every cent we paid for it. We were rewarded with amazing scenery all the way, flying over Mt Aspiring National Park, passing by Mt Aspiring itself (3,027m / 9,931 feet), and over rivers, valleys, lakes, snow-capped peaks and glaciers - we couldn’t stop taking pictures! It was without a doubt the prettiest of all the scenic flights we’d done. Which is actually not difficult, seeing that this was the first one we’d ever done (we’re not counting the helicopter flight on our wedding day as this wasn’t a scenic flight "technically speaking"). But even so, we think it’d be one difficult to match, and something we thoroughly recommend blowing the budget on to anyone visiting the area.

The cruise along Milford Sound was also quite spectacular, with the mountains rising up straight from the water, sheer cliffs looking down on you and waterfalls trickling their way down the vertical walls. There is only a handful of permanent waterfalls in the sound, but there are dozens of small ones that form after heavy rain - and it does rain a lot here, 6m a year as an average - and disappear after a few hours. For those with an interest in geography, the Milford Sounds (and all the other Sounds in the area) are not actually sounds, but fjords. They were mistakenly named sounds by the first explorers, but sounds are carved by rivers whilst fjiords are carved by glaciers, but by the time the error was corrected the name had stuck so they left it like that.

The flight back to Wanaka was very spectacular too, we took a different route and flew past Sutherland Falls, the highest waterfall in NZ at almost 600m high.

Making our way south east, we stopped in the town of Alexandra, where we hired a couple of bikes to ride a small stretch of the Otago Central Rail Trail. As the name suggests, this trail follows an old 150 km long railway line in the Otago province which was closed in 1990, and although the tracks have been removed, the trail has been maintained for the use and enjoyment of walkers, bikers, and horse riders. The entire track usually takes 3 to 5 days to cycle, but we only did a small stretch in just over a couple of hours. It wasn’t as exciting as the Bolivian Death Road but at least Maria managed to keep her bum on the seat all the way this time. We went through a couple of tunnels and a viaduct, where we got bored and turned round. The most entertaining bit was going through a long dark tunnel halfway through the ride. There was a race (runners) that day and the organisers, gifted with a funny sense of humour, had hung a big spotlight at one end of the tunnel, and placed a radio cassette on the floor blasting out sounds of a train whistle. It almost made us pedal a bit faster just in case!

After returning the bikes, we went to the cinema to see An Inconvenient Truth, the documentary/film on global warming by Al Gore. Although it is a bit politicised at times, we came out quite impressed and touched by the film, and we encourage you to see it if you have not yet done so. We guess the bit about the receding glaciers touched us more deeply as we’ve experienced the beauty and majesty of some of them recently, and we just found the idea of them disappearing completely too sad. And even if you don’t believe that we are a direct cause of global warming, it still can’t do any harm to be nicer to our environment, and the film certainly re-ignited our wish to do our bit.

For now we have started to be more conscious with our recycling, it’s scary how much plastic and paper/cardboard we accumulate after just a few days in the van, 99%!o(MISSING)f it is just food packaging material! We are also using fabric bags when we go to the supermarket rather than using plastic bags all the time (did you know that if a plastic bag ends up in the ocean it might be swallowed by an endangered turtle thinking it is a jelly fish?). The hybrid car and the house with the solar panels on the roof and the rain water collecting tanks in the garden will have to wait a bit longer...

For now, we had to continue polluting the air a little bit longer in the campervan, and drove down to the South Coast next. Our first stop was Nugget Point, a rocky outcrop with a collection of huge rocks sticking out of the water that are meant to resemble gold nuggets (hence the name) - kind of funny as gold nuggets don’t really have any defined shape, but we guess it sounded better than "Bunch of Rocks Point". We enjoyed watching a few groups of seals below, the younger ones playing in pools of water left on the rocks by the high tide whilst the older ones basked lazily in the morning sun.

We made another stop at a little place down the road called Jack’s blowhole, a 55 metre deep hole with an small ocean inside it - it is 200 metres away from the sea, but connected to it by a subterranean cavern.

We continued onto Cathedral Caves. These are two huge, inter-connected caves which are only accessible at low tide, and we were lucky enough to arrive just at the right time and only an hour before they closed the access road to the carpark. It made for a nice walk through a forested area, then onto the beach, before driving to our last stop of the day at Curio Bay. Here we found the most expensive campsite yet, in proportion to the facilities on offer - a couple of toilets and showers for each sex to be shared amongst 100 sites, and a communal kitchen that was smaller than the average garden shed. Still, it is the only campsite anywhere near here, so we guess they can charge what they want.

The interesting feature of this corner of the world is an apparently very well preserved petrified forest on the beach, said to be 160 million years old and one of the most extensive fossil forests in the world. But hard as we tried, we couldn’t really picture a living forest from the remains strewn on the ground. Someone told us it was much better in the past, but as people have been taking souvenirs home for years, it’s now hard to recognise what little is left, other than the two crossed logs on the floor. At least we recognised something we had seen before - a couple of yellow-eyed penguins, one which was pretty immobile as it was still moulting, and a second one coming home from a fishing trip.

Enjoy the pictures… we’ll be seeing more of Fiordland on our next blog!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tras dejar Mt Cook, los recién casados se dirigieron a Wanaka, un pequeña ciudad a la orilla de un lago y rodeada de montañas, muy pintoresca. Era el día antes de mi cumpleaños, así que como regalo de cumpleaños reservamos una excursión que consistía en sobrevolar el Parque Nacional Mt Aspiring en avioneta, seguido de un crucero por el famoso Milford Sound. Si no quieres volar, la única otra forma de alcanzar Milford Sound es a lo largo de una tramo de carretera sin salida de 120 km desde la ciudad de Te Anau, o sea, un desvío considerable. De modo que el vuelo escénico nos pareció una opción mucho más tentadora.

Por desgracia, el tiempo no acompañó y no pudimos volar ese día, de modo que tuvimos que celebrar el cumpleaños en otro sitio. Primero visitamos Puzzling World (Mundo del Puzzle), donde irremediablemente nos perdimos en un malvado laberinto y nos chupamos casi una hora subiendo y bajando escalones, cruzando puentes y pasando por los mismos sitios una y otra vez, despotricando contra el !@#%*! que lo diseñó y acordándonos de toda su familia mientras intentábamos encontrar la maldita salida. Después de marearnos en un par de habitaciones con ilusiones ópticas, intentamos resolver algunos de los muchos rompecabezas y juegos de ingenio que hay repartidos por toda la cafetería. Habiendo recuperado la confianza en nuestras habilidades tras resolver un juego de cuatro piezas - probablemente diseñado para párvulos - atacamos los juegos para adultos, sólo para terminar por tirarnos de los pelos de pura frustración; Mark tuvo que sacarme con prisas y casi a rastras del sitio porque me faltó el pelo de un calvo para ponerme a lanzar los jodíos aparatos por la ventana.

De aquí me llevó a un campo de tiro donde pude librarme de mi frustración sin que acabara la tarde en denuncia policial. Aquí me enseño a hacer un swing con un palo de golf, y tras darle bastante palazos al aire, y como mucho a alguna mosca distraída, al fín conseguí sorprenderme a mí misma pegándole de pleno a varias pelotas y enviándolas una distancia considerable para alguien de mi tamaño y escasa habilidad. Luego practicamos nuestra puntería con escopetas de bajo calibre y jugamos al tiro al arco también. Nos lo pasamos muy bien y aprovechamos hasta el último minuto, de hecho tuvieron que echarnos del sitio porque éramos los únicos clientes que quedaban.

Durante los dos días siguientes el tiempo deterioró aún más, de modo que los pasamos relajándonos y escribiendo el blog, intentando ponernos más al día para no publicar el de la boda con 6 meses de retraso. También fuimos a ver al fotógrafo, y repasamos las fotos en su ordenador portátil. No podemos negar que nos quedamos algo decepcionados con los resultados ya que no habían seguido nuestros requerimientos, y también nos encontramos con que muchas de las fotos eran repetitivas y algunas estaban hasta desenfocadas. La verdad es que nos costó trabajo encontrar 70 (la cantidad mínima del paquete que pagamos) que nos gustaran, y cuando intentamos hablarlo con la jefa al día siguiente, ésta se mostró bastante esquiva y hasta arrogante. En general sentimos que no habíamos recibido el servicio profesional que esperábamos, pero al menos me dió más confianza en mi propio y humilde talento, y me dió la esperanza de que con instrucción, aplicación, un montón de práctica y un buen equipo, no tardaría yo mucho en hacer un mejor trabajo que él…(he estado intentando encontrar inspiración para cambiar de profesión desde que salimos de viaje).

Ya estábamos por irnos al día siguiente si el tiempo no mejoraba, pero por suerte sí mejoró, las nubes desaparecieron y el viento dejó de soplar y pudimos despegar. El vuelo fue una maravilla, bien mereció la pena la espera y hasta el último centavo que pagamos por él. Nos vimos recompensados con paisajes de postal
RETURN FLIGHT: Lake Quill and Sutherland Falls / VUELO DE REGRESO: Lago Quill y Salto SutherlandRETURN FLIGHT: Lake Quill and Sutherland Falls / VUELO DE REGRESO: Lago Quill y Salto SutherlandRETURN FLIGHT: Lake Quill and Sutherland Falls / VUELO DE REGRESO: Lago Quill y Salto Sutherland

Sutherland Falls are said to be the world's 5th highest waterfalls at 580 metres (1904 feet) high ********* Con 580 metros de altura, el Salto Sutherland está considerado como el quinto más alto del mundo
todo el camino, sobrevolando el Parque Nacional Mt Aspiring, pasando junto al Mt Aspiring (3027 m de altura), y sobre ríos, valles, lagos, picos nevados y glaciares - ¡no podíamos parar de hacer fotos! Fue sin lugar a dudas el más bonito de todos los vuelos escénicos que habíamos hecho. Lo que no era muy difícil, ya que éste era el primero que habíamos hecho nunca (no contamos el del día de la boda ya que este no fue un vuelo escénico en el sentido estricto de la palabra). Pero aún así, tiene que resultar bien difícil de superar, y desde luego que es algo que bien recomendamos hacer, aunque signifique machacar el presupuesto.

El crucero a lo largo de Milford Sound (Estrecho de Milford) fue también muy espectacular, con montañas cuyas imponentes paredes escarpadas se elevan sobre tu cabeza saliendo directamente del agua, y multitud de cascadas adornando las verticales paredes. No hay más que un puñado de cascadas permanentes en el estrecho, pero multitud de cascadas pequeñas que se forman después de un buen chaparrón - y aquí llueve que da gusto, 6m al año como promedio - y desaparecen después de unas horas. Para aquellos a quienes les interese la geografía, el Estrecho de Milford (y todos los otros Estrechos en el área) no es un estrecho, sino un fiordo. Los primeros exploradores los bautizaron como estrechos erróneamente, ya que estos paisajes fueron formados por antiguos glaciares hace millones de años, lo que les convierte en fiordos. Pero para cuando quisieron corregir el error muchos años después, el nombre ya se había hecho demasiado popular así que lo dejaron tal cual.
El vuelo de regreso a Wanaka fue muy espectacular también, tomamos una ruta diferente y volamos sobre Sutherland Falls (Salto Sutherland, la cascada más alta en Nueva Zelanda con casi 600m de altura.

Continuando camino al sur, paramos en la ciudad de Alexandra, donde alquilamos un par de bicis para hacernos un tramo del Otago Central Rail Trail. Es una ruta que sigue una antigua vía férrea de 150 kilómetros de largo en la provincia de Otago. Los trenes dejaron de circular en 1990, y aunque han quitado las vías, han mantenido la ruta como atracción y se puede hacer andando, a bici o a caballo. Para hacer la ruta completa (en bici) se necesitan de 3 a 5 días, pero nosotros sólo nos hicimos un pequeño tramo en unas dos horas. No fue tan emocionante como la Carretera de la Muerte en Bolivia, pero al menos una servidora logró mantener el trasero pegado al asiento durante todo el trayecto en esta ocasión. Pasamos por un par de túneles y un viaducto, donde nos aburrimos y nos dimos media vuelta. El tramo más divertido fue un túnel largo y oscuro a mitad de camino. Había una competición para corredores ese día y los organizadores, dotados de un sentido de humor algo morboso, habían colgado un foco a un extremo del túnel, y colocado un radio cassette en el suelo con sonidos del traqueteo y silbidos de un tren a toda metralla. Por si las moscas, decidimos pedalear un poquito más rápido hasta salir del tunel…

Tras devolver las bicis, fuimos al cine a ver Una Verdad Inconveniente, la película/documental de Al Gore acerca del calentamiento global. Aunque algo politizada de vez en cuando, salimos bastante impresionados y emocionados, y os animamos a verla a vosotros también si aún no lo habéis hecho. Suponemos que la parte acerca de los glaciares en retroceso nos tocó la fibra más sensible, al haber experimentado la belleza y majestuosidad de algunos de ellos recientemente, y la verdad es que pensar que puedan desaparecer completamente nos resulta la mar de triste. Aunque no os acabe de convencer la afirmación de que somos una causa directa del calentamiento global, creemos que no hace daño ni está de más mostrarnos más respetuosos y cuidadosos con nuestra naturaleza, y la película ciertamente aumentó y renovó nuestro deseo de aportar nuestro granito de arena.

De momento hemos empezado a ser más concienzudos con nuestro reciclaje, da miedo ver la cantidad de plástico y papel/cartón que acumulamos en la autocaravana después de sólo unos días, el 99% es material de empaquetado de comida. También estamos usando bolsas de tela para llevar la compra cuando vamos al supermercado, en vez de utilizar bolsas de plástico todo el tiempo (¿sabíais que si una bolsa de plástico llega al mar podría ser engullida por una tortuga en peligro de extinción pensando que es una medusa?). El coche híbrido, y la casa con paneles solares en el tejado y el contenedor para recolectar agua de lluvia en el jardín tendrán que esperar un poco más...

Por ahora, tenemos que seguir contaminando el aire un poquito más en la autocaravana. Continuamos camino al sur hasta alcanzar la costa. Nuestra primera parada fue Nugget Point (Cabo de las Pepitas), un afloramiento rocoso con una colección de rocas enormes sobresaliendo del agua que se supone se asemejan a pepitas de oro - curiosa elección de nombre ya que las pepitas de oro no tienen ninguna forma definida, pero suponemos que sonaba mejor que "Cabo del Puñado de Rocas". Pasamos un buen rato observando varios grupos de focas, las más jóvenes jugaban en pozas de agua dejadas sobre las rocas por la marea alta mientras que las menos jóvenes disfrutaban perezosas del sol mañanero.

Hicimos otra parada en Jack’s Blowhole (Respiradero de Jack), un agujero de 55 metros de profundidad con un pequeño océano dentro - está a 200 metros del mar, pero conectado a él por una caverna subterránea.

Seguimos hacia Cathedral Caves (Cuevas Catedral). Son dos cuevas interconectadas a las que sólo se puede acceder durante la marea baja, y tuvimos la gran suerte de llegar en el momento acertado, y sólo una hora antes de que cerraran la carretera de acceso al aparcamiento. Resultó un bonito paseo por una zona boscosa y por la playa, y de aquí nos fuimos a nuestra última parada del día, Curio Bay (Bahía de la Curiosidad). Aquí encontramos el camping más caro de todos en los que hemos estado, al menos en relación precio-calidad, y es que no tenía más que un par de aseos y duchas para cada sexo que habían de ser compartidos entre las 100 plazas que había, y una cocina comunal más pequeña que un armario de dos puertas. En fin, como es el único camping por esos lares y en muchos kilómetros a la redonda, suponemos que pueden cobrar lo que les de la gana.

El rasgo más interesante de este pequeño rincón del mundo es un bosque petrificado en la playa, al parecer muy bien conservado, con una edad estimada de 160 millones de años. Dicen que es uno de los bosques fósiles más extensos del mundo. Pero por mucho que lo intentamos, no conseguimos imaginarnos un bosque entre los restos esparcidos sobre la playa. Un turista nacional nos dijo que había empeorado mucho en los últimos 20 o 30 años, ya que la gente se había llevado multitud de "souvenirs", y es por eso que ahora es difícil "ver" nada,
OTAGO CENTRAL RAIL TRAILOTAGO CENTRAL RAIL TRAILOTAGO CENTRAL RAIL TRAIL

Auripo Viaduct(o)
aparte de los dos troncos cruzados de la foto. Al menos reconocimos algo que habíamos visto antes - un par de pingüinos de ojos amarillos, uno bastante inmóvil porque todavía estaba en pleno periodo de muda, y otro que regresaba a casa tras un día de pesca.

Disfrutad de las fotos … ¡regresaremos con más fotos de "Fiordlandia" en nuestro próximo blog!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

OTAGO CENTRAL RAIL TRAILOTAGO CENTRAL RAIL TRAIL
OTAGO CENTRAL RAIL TRAIL

With Joey our kiwi campervan / Con Joey nuestra autocaravana kiwi


28th May 2007

Hola -hello
many thanks for your message regarding our engagement. Having just read your blog, it was a big help as we are trying to learn spanish (badly).
28th May 2007

sorpresa
joder, de piedra me he quedado.........con retraso, pero enhorabuena, donde os vais de viaje de bodas jejejeje......esto casi ha sido humor inglés
29th May 2007

NZ
Ahh memories of my last visit to Milford Sound where I took my Mum for her 60th. I hope to get back there some day. Stunning photos, hope married life is treating you well!!! Suex
29th May 2007

I am really glad you were sad like us and went to Puzzle World! How much fun can you have in an afternoon! Have fun on your trip guys. Its great for us lot who have finished our trips and are sat at home in the grey English weather dreaming of this time last year when we were exactly where you are now!

Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb