Same Old


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Reefton
May 6th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On the Croesus TrackOn the Croesus TrackOn the Croesus Track

Another day, another historic mining trail
We've settled back into a routine following our Easter trip. The Fall weather has set in. Many of the trees have changed colour and there is definitely an increasing chill in the air.

On Monday I headed out to a new track - the Croesus Track: a route through the alpine landscape of the Paparoa Ranges which separates Reefton from the West Coast. As with many trails in this area, the track runs along an historic mining trail passing through several historic locations, including the sites of two hotels which were located high up in the hills catering to the miners. Just off the track there is a hut dating back to the 1930s. The walls were covered in a waterproofed calico (a canvas material), the rest was made up of corrugated iron. One can imagine how cold it got in the winter in these un-insulated huts.

It was an effort to get up to the summit. The first bridge was out, requiring a stream crossing for which I was ill prepared ( I was wearing cycling shoes, not my waterproof hiking boots). The trail rises about 900 metres and emerges above the bush line. Much of the trail was too steep to ride up. At the top of the trail is an excellent government run hut where I ate my lunch and let my socks dry out a bit. The views were superb although they were partially obscured by the clouds which were moving in and out all day. The ride down was fast and exhilarating, but by the time I got to the bottom, the rain was pouring down and I was covered in mud.

Avery is getting into Rugby. We spent some time practising throwing the rugby ball. Josh is getting into mountain biking. He is doing very well. He, Avery and I went up to the Lookout (we drove to the top). He sped down the hill a little faster than I would like, but was in control. He had only 1 minor spill following which he got right back into the saddle. Adrianne has taken up spinning. We now have a spinning wheel in the living room and attempts at spun wool littering the floor.

Thursday was Rotary night. Several members of the Westport Rotary club are looking to start up a Reefton club. Astrid and I have volunteered to add to the numbers to start the local club up. The first informal meeting was held at the Broadway Tea House. There was a bit of confusion. We were told that it was a "supper" meeting and therefore we should have tea before coming. Turns out supper is cake and tea and "tea" is the main evening meal. We really need to get that the Kiwi-English dictionary.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0891s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb