Coast hopping!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Punakiaki
December 30th 2008
Published: January 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello

From the glaciers in the West, we made our way up the moody Coast which changed from thick cloud to bright sunshine in the space of a few minutes! The rugged coastline is almost desolate - not many tourists venture over this way, and only 1% of the population lives here, so, at times we began to feel like the only ones in New Zealand!

It was a long, windey drive but each new view of the rocky coastline gave us amazing views, and it made us make a comparrison to Oz - NZ, seems to be so comfortable with it's beauty that it forgets to rave about it, where-as in Oz the "Great Ocean Road" is one of the highlights, and greatly advertised!.....You can probably guess which we preferred - This country just has soo much to offer!

Dan - Nail on the head stuff Nic well done!!, Yes all I can say is the same, a country with so much beauty it's rediculous. One minute you are on a beach, the next sliding around on icey Glaciers, then treking through magical mossy forests, and then if that wasn't enough of an extreme change for you, you're stuck in the middle of a crazed bush fire!! Yes Bush fire!!! When we were headed back across to the east coast trying to make it in time for New years Eve we were faced with a long que and plenty of smoke, stuck for 3 hours with helicopters zooming past overhead with barrels of water to dowse the flames!!! did we make it in time for 12.00am??? you'll have to find out in the next blog!!!! (Cliffhnager or what??!!!)

More from us Next Year!.....Have a good one!
xxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Sceneic coast....Sceneic coast....
Sceneic coast....

......Better than Oz Great Ocean Road?


Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 24; qc: 93; dbt: 0.1295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb