Day 18 - Tauranga Bay & Punakaiki


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Punakiaki
November 24th 2006
Published: November 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our first stop today was Cape Foulwind. Not much here other than a path along the coast and a lighthouse. After just a few minutes we left again.

Our second stop was at the Tauranga Bay to sea a Seal colony. Here there were many seals; pups and adults, males and females, sleeping and playing. There weren't many in the water as there was a huge swell so there was plenty of surf and large crashing waves in every direction.

As we followed the West Coast Road south, the sea to our right and huge cliffs and mountains to our left, we followed the forever twisting road to reach Punakaiki. Our third stop of the day was Punakaiki Cavern - we explored it with our head torches; not particulary intresting to describe - so we won't!

Our fourth stop of the day saw us visit the Pancake Rocks and Blowholes at Punakaiki - an amazing costal feature with "pancake rocks" where the sea continually batters the area forcing water out of near by blowholes. As it was a windy day, and the sea fairly rough, the whole area echoed of thunderous claps as the waves pounded through passages beneath our feet.

Internet Links:
Pancake Rocks

Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb