Alpine Fresh


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Franz Josef
November 10th 2005
Published: December 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Stoppped off at Buller Gorge on our journey down the West coast to walk the longest swing bridge in New Zealand - and at 110metres, it really is pretty impressive - take a look at the photos! It got quite a swing going when we jumped our way across, trying best to send each other falling into the river below!

Hokitika is home to the National Kiwi Center, and how could we resist!? It was pretty shabby though, but at least we got to see five of the famous endangered Kiwi birds that were pecking around in the dark enclosure. Unfortunately the piccies havn't come out that well because we weren't allowed to use flash, but at least we've seen them - couldn't really have come all this way and not.

16:00:


All of a sudden our drive down along the coast from Westport has turned alpine!

It's madness. The little town of Franz Joseph, which shares its name with the imposing glacier down the road is stolen completely from Austria, France or the Swiss alps. Sweedish-style wooden huts with verandas line the main high street and the whole town has the feeling of those classy wintersports locations with thumping apre-ski.

After dumping the car at the local YHA, we splashed out and booked in for a guided glacier walk and ice climb tomorrow - can't wait!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 26; qc: 108; dbt: 0.1131s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb