Copland Track/Hotsprings


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Fox Glacier
April 26th 2007
Published: April 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This weekend, unfortunately Sara and O'Brien had work to do so Lola's girls were separated and Anne and I decided to go with a different group of girls (Greer, Jess, Laura and Jen) to do the Copland Track. We headed out on Thursday afternoon for the long 6 hour drive to glacier land along the west coast. Just as we were driving out of Dunedin we spotted some hitch hikers and thought it would be funny to pick them up and just as we passed them we realized that they were two of our friends, Grey and Mark. So we turned around and gave them a ride for a little bit. The rest of the time it was just Anne and I, but the drive along the west coast was so incredible that it made the long trip ok. We go into the town of Fox Glacier pretty late and couldn't find the other car and had no cell service. So we just found a hostel and we were so happy to find that we got a deal on a room that had a tv and Grey's was playing!!!! it pretty much made our night!!!
We woke up early the next morning and just as we were packing up our car we ran into the other girls!!! Reunited, we drove to the head of the trail to start our hiking excursion. The weather was perfect that day and for the whole trip! We hiked in about 6 hours and along the way we ran into a boy, Flynn, from California who had just graduated high school and was traveling by himself for 3 months. He smelled so bad and didn't talk much but hiked with us the whole time to end up at a hut where we spent the night at. About a two minute walk from the hut there were some natural hot springs that we relaxed in for a while. The water came out of this little stream and at the head of the stream the water was so hot that it was boiling. There were a couple different pools of different temperatures and the one that we hung out in was covered by green mud at the bottom that was kind of gross. After a relaxing time in the hot springs we made dinner and hit our sleeping bags early because the next morning we hit the trail early and after hiking out we drove the entire way back to Dunedin just in time for Saturday night festivities.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb