Movie Time in Wanaka


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
January 25th 2008
Published: January 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lake MathesonLake MathesonLake Matheson

Can see why they call it the mirror!
So after our early morning rise we moved onto Lake Matheson, just on the outskirks of the other famous glacier here - The Fox Glacier.

I have to say it was worth the early morning rise - the view is perfect - just like a mirror reflecting the Fox Glacier.
And because we were so early we almost had the place to ourselves, well with the exception to the poor bloke who appeared to have collapsed here shortly before we arrived and the ambulance crew that were waiting to stretcher him back to the carpark and into the waiting air ambulance!

We went to get coffee in Fox town but the prices were so expensive with it being a ski resort so we just filled up with petrol and drove on.

Diane's eyes were really red and sore this morning when she woke but we just thought it was through tiredness, but after a loo stop where we got talking to a local we discovered that Diane had actually sunburned her eyes! She admitted she hadn't worn her sunglasses all the time on the ice as she didn't think it was that bright - but obviously we have both learned a valuable lesson now!

We heard that this part of the country had the best coastal roads with real nice scenic views and they were not wrong!
We stopped on our way to a place called the Blue Pools - they are the bluest I have ever seen but apparently it's becuase of the Icey cold water - no swimming here then!

Unfortunatley we got there at the same time as a Kiwi Experience bus so didn't stay too long as it was overtaken by the 45 people - again it makes us realise how happy we are to have a car!

Tonight we have decided to stop at a small town called Wanaka, which everyone has told us to go to the cinema as it has loads of comfy old couches you seat on instead of seats - they have even transformed an old car into seats aswell!

We checked into a hostel called Molly's, quite a nice place but the owner is a bit chatty!

After a wander around the town and the obilgatory pint (we had the local beer Monleiths - very nice!) we headed to the cinema to watch 'Death At A Funeral', this turned out to be a really funny British Comedy.
They even had half time where they sold fresh hot cookies straight out of the oven - what more could a girl want!

Once that had finished we went to see what the night life was like but as it looked pretty dead (and it was quite an expensive town again) we decided to save ourselves and our budget and wait until Queenstown for our big night out.

So we headed back to the hostel for an early night and a good rest, aren't we good girls?!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0923s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb