Road to Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Timaru
November 13th 2011
Published: November 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Last night in Tangaroa. We'll be sad to say goodbye to our little van! It's a bit cramped at times, but it's been an awesome way to see the country.

When we first arrived in Oamaru yesterday morning, we took a detour south along the coast to see the Moeraki Boulders. We've included a picture in the previous post. They don't look like it, but they're naturally formed. Pretty neat!

We also found, unexpectedly, the Steampunk Museum in downtown Oamaru. It was free, and surprisingly cool! Who knew that the heart of the steampunk movement was in a quiet town on the east coast of the South Island?

I'm happy to report that we were successful in our quest to see yellow-eyed penguins last night! We only saw one little guy scurry out of the water onto the beach, but some fellow penguin-watchers found a pair just below the trail. It was incredible to be so close, and we watched them groom each other for quite awhile. No chicks, though (that we could tell).

This morning, we took a short drive west to see the Elephant Rocks. Another natural formation, like the Moeraki Boulders. We did a bit of climbing, and enjoyed the sunshine. We drove back through Oamaru for one very important, last-minute stop: the Whitestone Cheese Factory. Their Windsor Blue cheese is life-changing - YUM. Too bad the only place it's available in the US is Houston!

Back to our current location - we're in Timaru. What's notable about Timaru? Well...not much, but we've managed to have a pretty nice day so far. Napped, walked to the supermarket (and saw a house with a TARDIS in the front garden), drove to the beach, and had a bit of ice cream. Marshall wants to walk down to the local bar tonight. He says it's only fair: 3 yarn stores = 1 bar.

Tomorrow night we'll be back at Foley Towers in Christchurch, then it's a loooooooong bus ride to Dunedin on Tuesday.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Whitestone Cheese FactoryWhitestone Cheese Factory
Whitestone Cheese Factory

Try the Windsor Blue!


13th November 2011

Aaahhhh Godzone....
Wow, you guys make me really miss NZ! I am glad you are having so much fun and packing in so many great sites!! I'm very very jealous!!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb