From Cape Reinga to Slope Point


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Southland » Catlins
January 26th 2019
Published: March 31st 2020
Edit Blog Post

When we first came to NZ five years ago, we visited the northernmost point of North Island – Cape Reinga. Today we went to the southernmost point of South Island – Slope Point. The weather forecast was bad so we were fully expecting to get soaked. However it was dry and much warmer than yesterday so we thoroughly enjoyed the walk. As you can see from the photo, the next land due South is the Antarctic, with a mere 4,803kms to the South Pole.



We also visited Curio Bay where the rock on the beach is actually a petrified forest from the Jurassic period of around 180 million years ago. The adjacent living ancient forest is believed to be the only one in the world so close to a petrified forest and hence they have worldwide significance.



We then left The Catlins – where there are lots of sheep – and drove up to Alexandra, which is a fruit and wine growing area, to our base on a vineyard for the next two nights. The lady who owns it was remarking how busy the roads were. We laughed as we’d been saying to one another how quiet the roads and towns were.

It’s a lot warmer now and a heatwave is forecast from tomorrow so we can get into shorts at long last.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb