Reefton Uber Alles


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Reefton
January 8th 2007
Published: September 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Since both of us finished the dolphin swim this morning almost totally seasick, the thought of driving over six hours to our next planned destination of Franz Joseph glacier wasn't appealing. We decided to drive just a few hours into the mountains and stop at a little town on the way named Reefton.

Reefton ended up being a really cute, backwoods type of town that you could say was "Small town New Zealand" - and if you've been to Alaska, it was very much like a small Alaskan town. There was an "oriental restaurant" and a couple of other restaurants and shops, none of which was open for dinner the weekday evening we were there. That was OK - we weren't too hungry and ended up buying peanut butter, jelly and snacks from a grocery store. There was a haircutting place open and J was in need of a haircut by now, but it was booked. J enjoys finding bizarre locations for haircuts, but this one would have to wait.

We stayed at a cute little B&B right in town that used to house a bank - Reef Cottage. The room we stayed in in fact used the old walk-in safe as the bathroom, so we had a good time pulling the several hundred pound door shut whenever we had to go. The B&B had free Wi-Fi, a nice owner with a cute Rottweiler, and a courtyard by the river that was perfect for blogging.

As evening approached, we walked along the river and saw an absolutely awesome skateboard park. A trucker, originally from England, was showing some of the local kids some skateboard tricks. J asked if he could jump in the bowls and take some shots. Although the light was a bit low, he had a great time and plans to take more skating shots back home. The title of the post refers to the Dead Kennedys skate/punk song California Uber Alles.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Mongrel Headed Pig DogsMongrel Headed Pig Dogs
Mongrel Headed Pig Dogs

Seriously - they're dogs used to hunt wild pigs.


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb