Queenstown, New Zealand, Winter


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
July 5th 2013
Published: July 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

An alpine village in Winter. Ski fields by day and fireplaces by night. Expect the main hub to be busy during the winter but the vibe is young and relaxed. Obviously most are hoping to hit the slopes early in the morning so you won't see too much loutish behaviour or late night cheer. The busy time of day is "happy hour". Everyone has headed down the mountain and keen for a feast and a beer. The main hub has so many options for dining and caters for all budgets. From burgers, mexican, pizza, irish pubs to more extravagant dining at the various hotels. The mall is nice for a bit of shopping or picking up souvenirs. Sometimes they set up ice skating in town otherwise head over to the rink and maybe catch a game of ice hockey - STAMPEDE (local team). If they are not in town buckle on some skates and have some fun! Always nice to walk around the lake or further into the Botanical Gardens. Grab a frisbee and play frisbee golf - is that what it was called? Not far out of town (transport needed) you can go on the Shotover Jet? But i recommend heading to Glenorchy - Lord of the Rings territory. Always a bit of fun is heading up the hill to play on the luge. We have walked up the mountain - entry is just past Rydges Hotel. Allow some time to do this though. Then you can catch the gondola down FREE. Lots of choices up the mountain - hang gliding might be your thing or bungee? I am happy to sip some wine and look out at the amazing view. They do put a show on up there - nice if it is your first time. TSS Earnslaw is most of the time not operating at this time of year, so check their website for dry dock times. But when you do get on the Earnslaw enjoy heading over to the farm - choose a nice blue sky day. Skiing you ask - will post another blog about the ski fields in QT.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb