Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
March 5th 2013
Published: March 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

QueenstownQueenstownQueenstown

Just arriving.
We have been very good about keeping to our schedule and today was no different. At precisely 8:30 we were on the road headed up north to Queenstown. I had been waiting for this day. Deb had made reservations for 2 nights at the Rees Hotel along with reservations for a flight to Milford Sound weather permitting. When we woke this morning it was very cloudy and rainy but we chose to trust the forecast which said it would be sunny and in the 70s. Once on our way, the clouds cleared and the sun came out and we had the best weather so far. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 2:00 but because we got here early, we were told we could go right then. They said it would be better to go sooner rather than later, because the weather can change in an instant.

We were shuttled over to the airport and boarded a small plane which took us to Milford Sound, another shuttle that took us to the boat dock. Millford Sound is the most northern of Fiorland's 14-glacier carved fjords and the only one accessible by road. The flight was stunning with high mountain peaks,
Flight to Millford Sound.Flight to Millford Sound.Flight to Millford Sound.

Deb happy to be underway.
rivers and lakes below. It was truly breathtaking. The flight was also more than a little choppy. Once on the boat we had a brown bag lunch and we began our 2-1/4 hour cruise enjoying the views of the waterfalls, mountains arising straight out of the sea and even saw some sea lions sunning on the rocks.

After the cruise we took a short walk back to the plane and I was recruited by Deb to be the co-captain which meant that I got to sit in the front seat and had the best seat in the house. I guess you can't beat that. The flight back was breathtaking as well.

We decided on a Fergburger for dinner as these were touted as the "best burger you will ever eat." We were also told that the line would extend down the block. There was a crowd gathered but I think someone came by and told them that they could have a seat at their restaurant right away. Worked for us, we didn't have a long wait at all.

Tomorrow we plan on taking in more sites of Queenstown.

I am hopeful that I will get some pictures downloaded at some point.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Millford SoundMillford Sound
Millford Sound

Waterfalls as seen from our cruise ship.


5th March 2013

You had me rolling on the floor in laughter!
Boy you are on a roll tonight, 3 blogs! Loved reading our days from your perspective. But you must be tired, you had us driving to Queensland! Maybe another holiday ?❤
11th March 2013

amazing
What wonderful pictures. There's one missing though: Where's the Fergburger picture???

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb