Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
November 16th 2011
Published: November 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Franz Josef was a long walk to the face but was well worth the effort, we could only get within 100 metres of the face but the scale of the Glacier was magnificent, when you look at the rocks that have been brought down by the glacier the power is overwhelming, there is a board at the start of the river bed leading to the face of the glacier that shows how it has receded over the past 100 years and they are unsure whether it is global warning to blame or not.
When we tried to book into the hotel at Franz Josef (the Bella Vista Hotel) it turns out we had booked at the Bella Vista at Fox Glacier – wot-a-mistaka-to-maka but it seems this is quite common – my how they must laugh at the tourists. The hotel at Fox Glacier was OK – the day had started very fine but by the time we reached Fox Glacier it was raining hard – very little to do at Fox Glacier especially when it is raining – so it is a visit to a cafe for food then bed.
Next day (Wednesday) up early to brilliant sunshine and so off to Queenstown – we had spent all our cash and there was no ATM at Fox Glacier – so we thought we would go to Haast – get some cash, have a breakfast and all would be well.
As we left Fox Glacier there was a sign for the viewpoint of the Glacier – so we decided to take a look.
Whilst there a German couple arrived in a Ford Focus – He must have hit the accelerator rather than the brake and crashed into the log barrier and started climbing the hillside – it’s hard not to laugh when you see someone whose very embarrassed about what has happened and all you can hear from the car is ‘shit shit shit’ – nobody hurt so I didn’t feel too bad.
When we got to Haast – no ATM – so no food- next stop WANAKA. It was a long drive but very spectacular- Haast pass had some wonderful views and after a while you become quite blasé about it – another snow capped mountain, another mountain stream, another rain forest – New Zealand has it all. They are all World Heritage Wilderness sites
At Wanaka we got the cash – had something to eat (6 hours after setting off from Fox Glacier) – we decided to take the Crown Range route to Queenstown – a shorter route but more challenging – well worth the effort – once again some spectacular views from mountain tops.
At Queenstown we had booked an evening meal at the Gondola Restaurant at the top of Bob’s peak (a recommendation from a Kiwi I worked with at Hermes) – it is a cable car ride to get there overlooking Queenstown, the lake and mountains – got there early so we had a prime seat by the window. Good food, (this holiday is not just about food!!!!). Thank you Paul – it was all you said and more.
Tomorrow – booked a trip on a steamship (TSS Earnshaw) and seeing a sheep station and possibly sheep shearing.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb