Day 6 - Jet Boat Day - Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
July 12th 2011
Published: July 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 6 started off pretty much the same as the others, rain and snow and plans canceled. We were scheduled for a jet shoot over ride at 10:30 and a bungy jump at 1:30. The jet boat was delayed until noon, so that meant our bungy would not happen, or we cancel the boat. So much of our morning was spent walking around the quaint town of Queenstown window shoping and deciding what to do. If you want anything that has to do with Rugby and the World Cup that will be here in September, you can't even get a hat for under $40 NZ dollars. We also tried to see what else we could do, but apparently when it snows in this ski town everything shuts down. Can't get to teh Sounds, roads closed. Can't get to the wineries, roads not safe. These are the same roads we drive on a daily basis back at home.
At noon we headed back to the jet boat and they were running again, so we did that and canceled the bungy jump. Chester is actually a little relieved right now. The jet boat ride was fast, furious and fun. It's a small power boat that holds about 14 people and a driver. the driver whips through the canyons very fast and spins us around 360 degrees. They only need about 4 inches of water to run the boats. As we were flying down the canyons, the snow picked up again and was hitting us in the face. The video is quite funny, but for $40 we passed on buying it. We made a few passes through the canyon and then headed back to the dock which we were ready for as it was snowing pretty good by then. Luckily we got our trip in when we did, because they started canceling trips again.
We also learned that because of the snow, they canceled trips to Milford Sound which is a must see when on the south island of NZ. Bummed again, but we walked around and found a place that was able to book a trip to Doubtful Sound for Thursday. I hope the name is not an omen and that we will actually get to take this trip.
Tomorrow, instead of the bungy jump we are scheduled to go rafting, yes white water rafting in the winter. The cool part about it though is we get to take a heli-copter to the drop in. Sweet! No pictures for today, but don't worry, there will be more to come.

Advertisement



12th July 2011

dinner table fodder
I amused the whole family with tails of your exploits tonight. Even got a smile out of Robert about the "kiwi pussies" and the tires crossing on the "frosty roads."

Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb