Calm before the Storm


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
December 26th 2010
Published: December 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Makarora is a tiny town. It consists of the cabins that we stayed in, camper park, and café/bar. And that’s it. But seeing as how it is Saturday night and Kat and I are not the type to sit around being bored, we head up to the cafe for dinner and a drink. Luckily, there is another “tour” bus of guys on an Adventure tour, where you “jump off shit” (the boys have decided this is a manly thing to do and they sound cool when they tell people that’s what they’re doing). They are a pretty funny group and before long there are about 15 of us crowded around one long table playing a card game called King Mao. The only rule of King Mao is that you can’t tell anyone else the rules. There are actually quite a lot of rules which you just have to be smart enough to pick up along the way. I won the first time. Anyways, along with King Mao were a few drinks which turned into a few games of pool and before I knew what had happened Kat and I were singing karaoke to Don’t Cha by the Pussycat Dolls. Not quite sure how the night got away with me like that but it happens sometimes. No, thank God, there is no video. At least that I’m aware of. Oh yes, and we might have gone swimming in the freezing cold pool at 1:30 in the morning, also contributing to the sickness. Again, no video.
A few more beautiful sights the next day and we are in Queenstown where you can do just about anything exciting you have ever wanted to do. There is bungy jumping, sky diving, an ice lug, jet boats, jet skis, a canyon swing, mountain climbing, a cannon to be shot out of, bear wrestling, running through the woods while Maori shoot poisonous darts at you. OK, maybe I made a few of those up, I don’t really know if they have jet skis. But you get the picture. It is late afternoon when we get here so we all clean up (the Adventure boys are here too) and head out for a free BBQ and a drink or two. There is no karaokeing or late night swimming this night, only potato wedges with sweet chili and sour cream. Yum.
The next morning we finally get a chance to sleep in. Most of the next day is spent just wandering around town, a nice walk along the coast towards the rose garden and forest, picnic lunch on the beach and maybe even a nap if I remember correctly. It is sunny and beautiful and mild out and I am so content to just have a day to relax and unwind after all the recent craziness. We meet up with Alex (a guy from the UK over here for a year who we have met the day before in Wanaka) and have Mexican for dinner. While it is no La Fonda, I have been missing Mexican food terribly and it does what I need it to do and fills that craving just a bit. We then get some ciders and head out to the other side of the lake to watch the sunset. We have picked the perfect night, warm and calm with enough clouds to pick up the colors. We have the best spot, a group of rocks that jut out into the lake and are flat enough to sit comfortably. And Kat and Alex are fantastic company. The sunset is beautiful and I am calm. The calm before the storm.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb