Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
October 22nd 2010
Published: October 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We've been on the road for 2 weeks now and have reached the half way point of our holiday. It has really gone slow and we have had a great time.

After the rain of Franz Josef the other day, we woke to blue skies for our Fox Glacier walk. Walking on the glacier was fantastic - so was the 800 odd stair climb getting there - what a work out. All our walking has paid off as we did it much easier than some of the others on the tour.
Not long after leaving Fox Glacier it starts raining again as we go through Haast Pass. What wonderful scenery and with the rain there are some fantastic waterfalls down the mountains - You have to look at the bright side. After a coffee stop in Haast (nothing here) and a healthy bite to eat (chips and gravy) we reach Wanaka - we are now in the lakes district and the lakes are huge. They filmed some of the Lord of the Rings around here and you can see why.

We head off to Queenstown yesterday and after texting the UK girls (Katy and Becky) they are still there and we arrange to catchup. Queenstown is probably the best town we have been to so far. The sun has finally decided to shine for more than just a morning, the snow is still on the mountains and the water in the lake here is so clear it's unbelievable.

We had a great Mexican dinner with Katy and Becky (as well as Margarita's and wine) we talked sharing our adventures into the night.

The girls have gone this morning after coffee and we won't see each other again this trip. Menx and I spent the day walking around Queenstown and went up the Gondola. It's good to have a few relaxing days and not driving.

Stats update for this week -
Petrol is dearer on the South Island - dearest we've seen (but didn't need tofill up luckily) was 201.9/litre.
2,342 KM's traveled so far.
1,210 Photos
Food is still outscoring the Siteseeing and Accommodation in the expense category - we like our food obviously. Not sure we'll be loosing any weight on this trip…
Found a new favourite beer - Monteiths Celtic.

Hope all is well back home (safe driving Katy and Becky - see you on Facebook)



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb