NZ - Queenstown, Milford Sound, Nevis Bungy! then to Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
July 18th 2009
Published: July 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We were ready to leave Wanaka having survived the earthquake reaching 7.2 on the Richter scale. Although Nik had to be evacuated from the hostel and the walls and strobe lighting rocked slowly and eerily for ages in the bar that I was in. So, Queenstown awaits and we still had to survive the Nevis Bungy, the 4th largest in the world with a 134m freefall! Along the journey from Wanaka we visited "Puzzle World" were we got lost in a maze and enjoyed numerous illusions and games. We also watched a few people jump from the Kawarau Bridge, the first commercial bungy at a measly 43m high! Although it only got me nervous for the Nevis monster I would accomplish a few days later. Once in Queenstown Nik and I took a walk around the town to check it out. We then joined with friends we met from our travels down to the South who arrived here earlier for a night out in the Altitude bar below our hostel.

The second day we went to Milford Sound, situated in the fjord land national park. The drive to get there was long and windy and troubled a delicate stomach, but stops at mirror lakes and waterfalls broke up the day. We took a cruise along the marine blue waters in Milford Sound, starting with a very crappy buffet, followed by the most striking of glacial scenery with steep valley walls and hundreds of waterfalls dripping through the blanketed clouds. We watched a pod of dolphins as they played alongside our boat seeking a race at the ship’s bow. We also stopped to see some seals float by the valley walls, offering a subtle wave with their flippers. Finally we went to an underwater observatory before taking the long and windy road back to Queenstown.

18th July: Bens Premature Birthday Celebrations and Bungy Day. Time to conquer my fear of heights and face the Nevis Bungy - 4th highest in the world with a freefall of 134m! I tried to syke myself up for it in the morning, but as soon as we got in the minivan for a 45 minute journey to take us to the bungy my palms started to sweat and all went quiet! Well all but the songs played by the driver that resembled something about death or falling! Once we arrived at the Nevis we were soon kitted up in a safety harness and then took a scary cable car ride over to the platform area. My legs where literally trembling at this point and it didn’t help when one of the workers pretended to throw me over the side!.! I plucked up the courage to look over the side to see valley walls flashing up to me in the near distance!. My friend Jamie from back home was the first to jump and the fear in his eyes only enhanced mine! Soon enough it was my turn. They attached the bungy rope in a what looked like a dentist chair and the minute they spin you around to start your final walk, my heart felt like it was jumping out of my skin. A quick wave to the paparazzi (Nik) and then a short stare at the mountain ahead rather than looking down, 3,2,1 and I jumped. The free fall was incredible, such a rush and the relief of surviving after was just a buzz! My mate Lee did his in a Pamela Anderson outfit and our other friend Alex was unable to pull a cord that flipped you back upright as you were pulled back to safety, therefore coming back upside down! Once the adrenaline subsided we became very hungry so took a trip to the famous Fergburger. The biggest burger I have ever eaten with a pound of meat inside! Today was a double celebration! Bungy done, Birthday Bash to come.. The Kiwi's pronounce my name "Bin," so for my birthday we went out in bin bag attire, although for me there wasn’t much of it. Dressed in a cape and Yfronts we all hit to the streets of Queenstown getting some very strange looks! Nik still looked amazing in a bin bag and made it look like a designer dress! Fortunately most people loved the costume and on numerous occasions people stopped for a photo with us all. A good and memorable night! On our last day in Queenstown and the last day with our group of friends we tried out some "Frisbee golf" beside the lake. We also went out for a Chinese together followed by some bowling action.

20th July: My birthday! Unfortunately my birthday was spent on the bus travelling from Queenstown to Christchurch, although the scenery travelling through the southern Alps near to Mount Cook certainly improved an otherwise monotonous bus journey. We stayed at Stonehurst Hostel and managed to get a good double room for only $45/18 quid! Therefore after a takeaway we chilled out in our room taking advantage of the beside TV. Then on our full day in Christchurch we had a 'sort day" in preparation of Fiji and La in the coming weeks.

NZ = 11/10 - But we are looking forward ditching our fleeces and wooly socks to enjoy some nice Fijian weather! Less than a month to go...


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1017.9kb