New Zealand - South Island Pt.1


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
July 4th 2009
Published: July 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello, so I'm now down in Queenstown where I will be for the next few days before heading up to Christchurch to catch my flight out of NZ. Didn't do much on our last day in Wellington, just went to the museum for a bit then went to watch "The Hangover" at the cinema in the evening (which was an appropiate film at the time...). Got the ferry down to the south island on the 27th of June, where about 15 of us who did the north island joined the south island bus to make a total of about 50, so we had a full bus all the way down the west coast. First stop was Nelson for the night where we had a bit of free beer tasting of local beers then watched the All Blacks, a few people stayed out to watch the Lions as well. Next day we drove on to Westport, stoping at Lake Rotoiti on the way to take a few piccies. Stayed at a nice little hostel that night called Fern Lodge. After a night in Westport it was on to Lake Mahinapua, stoping on the way to do a nice coastal walk in the Paparoa National Park. I now have so many photos of coast lines and mountain scenery it is ridiculous! Literally can't remember where most of them are from. Also stoped at Greymouth on the way to pick up supplies for the night as basically the place we stayed at that night (Mahinapua Hotel) is in the middle of nowhere, we were the only people there which was cool. The guy who owns it is a crazy old guy called Les, he puts on a big bbq for all the kiwi buses before putting on a massive fancy dress party, known as the Pou Party. Our theme was an ABC (anything but clothes) party, I fashioned an outfit out of tea towels, other people did some really good ones out of bin liners, maps, brouchures etc. The best one was a girl who went as a poker table with the poker cloth as a dress, cards attached to it and chips stuck to her beanie.

Next stop was Franz Josef where we stayed for 2 nights, stoping at the Bushman's centre on the way to find out how the crazy kiwi's used to jump out of helicopters to hunt down deer, who became massively overpopulated after being introduced to NZ which previously had no mammals or 4 legged animals. Stayed at a really nice hostel in Franz Josef called Rainforest Retreat, overlooked by the snow topped mountains. The next day we did the full day Franz Josef glacier hike, we got really lucky with the weather for it aswell, blue sky all day. The walk was about 7 hours in total, walking on the glacier itself, through cracks and crevasses and along ridges. It was a really good day, one of the best day trips I have done, with some awesome views. After that we relaxed back at the hostel and treated ourselves to a drink or two.

Next day (2nd July) it was on to Wanaka along (apparently) one the top 10 scenic drives in the world. However, we couldn't see much, there was heavy snow fall all day, we had to use the old chains on the wheels of the coach. At one point we had to stop because the road was closed cos two cars had flipped up ahead of us, so we parked up and had a massive snow ball fight! It all delayed our journey by about 3 hours but got to Wanaka eventually. Next day it was on the Queenstown, adventure capital of NZ. On the way we stoped off at the Puzzle Centre, which is basically a place with loads of puzzles to do and mazes and illusions and stuff like that, also stoped at AJ Hackett, the place of the original bungy jump for those who are doing a bungy jump to sort it out. You'll be happy to know I'm not doing one mum! Had a big night out last night with the whole bus as it was our last night together. Today had a bit of a wander around and got a Ferg Burger, which has the most amazing burgers in the world, they are huge and easily the best burger I've ever had. It's only a small little place but is always packed, then we got big ice cream despite the temperature here. I will be staying in Queenstwon for 5 nights, most people are staying here for a while, it's one of the highlights of New Zealand and a base to doing skiing and any extreme sport you can think off. It's also a really beautiful place, surrounded by snow topped mountains. Anyway, not long left of my travels now, after this it's on the Christchurch for 2 nights, then Singapore for 2 nights then home!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb