Skiing in Queenstown!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
May 24th 2009
Published: June 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well here we are in Queenstown. Home for a while...at least until the snow starts melting! Bought our ski season passes, skis, boots and the rest so we are set to go!! Spent the first week of our stay here in a caravan park, but promptly decided to look for a room for the winter as it's pretty bloomin cold. Also after a night of torrential rain we discovered that the van is leaking... right onto Michael's pillow. Poor soul had a cold and a stiff neck for a week after.

Got plenty of exercise trapsing around Queenstown looking for a flat, but after a week we found a nice (cheap!) flat that we are both happy with, only 5 minutes walk into the town centre. Perfect! We also have 13 other flatmates so we are never lonely! The view from our bedroom window and sitting room is amazing... don't think I'll ever get bored of looking at it.

Now commence the job hunting! With hundreds of other backpackers with the same plan as us, we find that jobs are sparse but competition is aplenty! Nevertheless, with our brains and good looks, we managed to find employers. Michael is working full time doing construction work, and I am working up the ski mountain at a creche with a bit of cleaning on the side. Having spent the past few years working with kids that are often taller than me, it's taking a bit of used to looking after little uns. They are hard work!! I have also changed my first nappy!! Good training for me though as I have just become an auntie to a little boy Charlie!! Congratulations Lynn & Scott!! Can't wait to see him, hope he doesn't get too big before I get to see him.

Had my first lesson on the snowboard too. A lot different from skiing, takes quite a bit of getting used to having both feet attached to the same board. Was good fun, although I was pretty bruised by the end of the day! Think I'll stick to skiing for the majority of the time. It seems the physiotherapist is keeping busy with the snowboarders in our flat alone!




Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

View from our bedroom windowView from our bedroom window
View from our bedroom window

What a view to wake up to every morning!
Electricy cable above the water?!Electricy cable above the water?!
Electricy cable above the water?!

Hopefully a boat doesn't sail into this accidentally!
The RemarkablesThe Remarkables
The Remarkables

Quite remarkable!
Irn BruIrn Bru
Irn Bru

How chuffed were we to find this!


25th June 2009

Amazing!
Wow - the flat you've found has an amazing view! Go on you guys, getting work and sticking around there for a while. Hope the snowboarding goes well and you don't get too sick of being sore and bruised! Have a great time while there, keep us posted :)
25th June 2009

How long?
Hey people. How long are you planning to live in Queenstown for? What sort of labouring is Michael doing? We need details people! Steven

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb