1st February 2008


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
February 1st 2008
Published: February 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

1st February 2008
The meal last night turned out well, as usual, when Bob found an excellent steak house which served every prime cut of Hereford beef imaginable, so the meat eaters were well fed and I had very good pumpkin soup followed by apple strudel, mmmm.
We are still in Queenstown but this morning it was overcast and threatening to rain. We decided to do a three hour walk in Mount Crichton Scenic Reserve, 10km outside Queenstown. We walked up the Sam Summer's track, which is an old gold mining track up a deep gorge. It was a loop walk that passed the original Sam Summer's Hut in the gorge. The hut was laid out as if Sam had just popped out and looked quite authentic. We signed the visitor book in the hut and continued our walk.
The temperature when we started out was 21 degrees but by lunchtime heavy rain started to fall and the wind increased and switched to a southerly wind and the temperature dropped to 11 degrees. By the time we reached the car park we were wet and very pleased to see Annette waiting for us. She had arrived early as she realised we would be in need of hot tea.
I managed to drop my lens cap into the gorge and despite leaping in and paddling around failed to find it! Quick call to Sigma when I get back!
As the rain seemed set in for the day Dinah has taken the opportunity to get her hair cut as she thinks she looks as if she has been on the road for a while. E.G The grey is showing through!
The meal tonight was at an excellent Japanese restaurant, Annette's choice. I had salmon sushi with avocado and tempura vegetables. Afterwards we had our coffee followed by fig and pistachio ice cream at the hand made chocolate shop on the harbour front . What a life of luxury!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



1st February 2008

what a life!
That first photo of Lake Wakatipu looks like a painting its amazing. Just make sure you have some rest days amongst all this walking you dont want to burn out!! And we have all decided dads attempt at donning his beach outfit was missing the surf board and the sea so next time we want feet in the water and a surf board at least!!
1st February 2008

Cup of cha
I saw the weather kick out yesterday and hoped you'd be ok - it seems to be coming right again though. I love that Mum was there early in the carpark knowing you'd like a cup of tea - she's brilliant at knowing that kind of stuff.

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0861s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb