Go Or No Go!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
December 3rd 2017
Published: December 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Most travel websites and email newsletters tell us where we should go. They tell us what destination is hot. In reality, they are just trying to line their pockets, and keep their sponsors (online ads) happy. Frankly, I tire of their relentless and shameless touts. My biggest travel misadventure was going to Machu Picchu. Lots of hype, and not much substance. The train ride to and from was interesting and scenic. And remainder of Peru remains one of our favorite places to visit, Amazonia.



But I do admire a website that tells us where NOT to go. Fodor's took the chance, perhaps since they do not receive $$ from these countries, or companies that transport or house us at those destinations.



Here is Fodor's commentary: We believe that we’re not only passengers on this trip, but are stewards of this land. This planet offers an abundance of majestic vistas and fascinating culture that we recommend you seek out often. But this world is also more than a static viewing point—as travelers, we are witness to the many misfortunes that happen upon our world. Travelers must decide how and where we can concern our efforts to observe and preserve the splendor of life around us, and we do that with everything from our currency to our presence.



• The Galapagos. I never had a desire to go, for many reasons. One, I am not good on water. And two, it is one of themost fragile marine and terrestrial ecosystems of the world. My two sisters have both been there. And many of you as well. Why?
• Places where ships dock. Ships damage the ecosystem wherever they dock, whether an Hawaiian island, Greek isle, or Alaska passage. I am not a cruiser, so this does not affect me. But it should affect some of you!
• The Taj Mahal is on most bucket lists. The Taj is undergoing mud therapy to keep it from yellowing. Apparently, the air is so dirty, reaching toxic levels, from visitors and vehicles.
• Phang Nga Park, Thailand. Man made threats are feeding fish, catching marine life, and polluted coral reefs. Thailand’s government created a rating system for its beaches based on “water quality that includes both solid waste and pollution in the sea; plastic and oil pollution and residue; coastal and beach trash management; condition of reefs and national park resources; environmental control, and tourism management. This applies to many of the limestone karsts and islands off the Thai coast.
• Myanmar. While pollution and over touristing are on the rise, the big issue here is ethnic cleansing of the Rohingya ethnic minority. Over 600,000 have fled to neighboring Bangladesh, no walk in the park itself. Mike and I were here just after a new democratic government was being elected. But the military is still a formidable power there.
• Mount Everest. Enough already. The mountain is littered with oxygen bottles, trash, human waste, and over 200 dead bodies. Climate change might become the biggest culprit. We saw it from a sightseeing plane, aptly named Buddha Air.
• Missouri? Why? The state has become a dangerous place, homosexual discrimination, poor treatment of tourists, racial and Muslim discrimination. The NAACP has advised tourists to avoid this state, despite Clydesdales, great jazz, the Arch, and BBQ.
• Honduras. Inexpensive and home to some of the best diving and water sports in the world. But it has one of the highest murder rates in the world. I employed a woman from Honduras who found her husband shot and beheaded in their home!!! Law enforcement are the primary perpetrators of murders.
• Great Wall of China. The Wall is bombarded from every angle, farmers who turn it into shelters or fertilizer, tourists who steal parts of the wall, construction, pollution, and tourist overload. At 13,000 miles long, and one of the world's great architectural feats, the Wall attracts almost every tourist visiting China. I say avoid the red alert level pollution in this country!
• Cuba travel has subsided. Lack of infrastructure, had food and hotels, danger, and mysterious illness are cited as reasons to avoid Cuba. Is the mountain of paperwork required to visit worth seeing a 1952 Chevy?? I think not!

I could add several other places to these ten. The Amazon rainforest is probably at the top of my list, though I enjoyed the experience immensely. I would also add Angkor Wat in Cambodia, another one of my best travel experiences. Others, perhaps less urgent, but nonetheless in trouble are: Ngorongoro Crater, the Serengeti, Hanauma Bay on Oahu, the Great Barrier Reef, and the canals of Venice. Pick your poison, so to speak, but stay mindful of the impact of your visit on these places.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.466s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 32; qc: 149; dbt: 0.3257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb