Otago Rail Trail


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago
February 5th 2008
Published: March 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Skinned FenceSkinned FenceSkinned Fence

After a short while on the Otago Rail Trail, we were confronted by this farmers display. After missing out on the "bra" fence near Cardrona, I had to get some photos.
So after the Catlins we arrived in Dunedin. Being back in a city we did the usual timesucking city acivities of updating ourselves online for hours, sorting out bank transfers and then we checked out the rather comprehensive museum to learn as much as possible about the local area. This pretty much took up all of the day, so we decided to stay outside of town in a free rest stop but instead got lost up what seemed to be a never ending hill, not finding a rest stop, eating a dodgy pie from a garage and then parking just off the roadside. This may sound particularly bleak, but it really wasn't so bad.

When back in Dunedin the next day we obligingly tagged along with all of the other tourists to the steepest street in the world - Baldwin Street. You can see the photos it wasn't especially mind blowing, but it cannot be argued this street was STEEP!

After leaving Dunedin, we embarked upon a beautiful scenic drive which meandered around the old Rail Trail which is no longer in use apart from for cyclists and hikers who work their way along the now sealed over rail
Easter Island HeadsEaster Island HeadsEaster Island Heads

Me intrigrating myself into the mystic of these amazing statues. So glad to see one, here in Dunedin!
tracks to take in the countryside. When this scenic drive had come to a finish we found ourselves in surprisingly arid landscapes. "How odd!" we cried. "We thought New Zealand was going to be luscious throughout". After a bit of researching the trusty Planet de 'L' we realised we'd actually driven all the way into the Otago Desert. Factoids declared that this part of New Zealand was actually as dry as Uluru, but because it was so close to mountains which had a lot of rainfall the bits inbetween made excellent conditions for wine growing. More specifically Pinot and Chardonnay growing - naturally we thought it best to sample such wines from such a special place. We were not so impressed with the ambience of the first winery which was based in an industrial estate, but we were more than bowled over with the Italian Rustic style of the many other wineries we visited out in the countryside. After drinking we made our way to a nice little place called Twizel and saw a great sunset, followed by some fabulously clear stars.

Next up Mount Cook!

PS - Who knew that Sheep could get down to CSS so
On a Dark Desert Highway.......On a Dark Desert Highway.......On a Dark Desert Highway.......

.......we had to stop for the night. As the sun sets, we take it in at one of the best places to see it in the Sotuh Island, near Omarama, which in Mauri is "Place of Light".
well. This was not a set up film, just a great fluke. We have already sent it to the bands manager who is considering re-editing their music video (double click on attached movie).




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Otago MuseumOtago Museum
Otago Museum

Laura gets close to the wildlife. At least he's smiling.
Happy Hen!Happy Hen!
Happy Hen!

Laura kills a little time by designing her fancy Hen. Good array of colour and garments I think.
FINN WhaleFINN Whale
FINN Whale

This one's for my nephew. He's called Finn. He is a little smaller than this though.
Dunedin Train StationDunedin Train Station
Dunedin Train Station

A brilliant design for the city's Rail Station.
The World's Steepest road.The World's Steepest road.
The World's Steepest road.

Baldwin St. in Dunedin, is according to Guinness World Records, the steepest residential road in the world. Looks pretty steep from here anyway. Couple of guys were cycling up it.
Laura stands proudLaura stands proud
Laura stands proud

Baldwin St. Dunedin.
Vineyard SculptureVineyard Sculpture
Vineyard Sculpture

Cromwell, Central Otago. Great Wine.
Vineyard SculptureVineyard Sculpture
Vineyard Sculpture

Sumo guy. Cromwell, Central Otago. Great Wine.
Vineyard SculptureVineyard Sculpture
Vineyard Sculpture

Intricate Carving. Cromwell, Central Otago. Great Wine.
Hoofs-and-AllHoofs-and-All
Hoofs-and-All

These skins still had the hoofs attached! Nice.
Rock and Pillar RangeRock and Pillar Range
Rock and Pillar Range

Along the Otago Rail Trail. Unique rock formations pierce the surface.
Lonesome RoadLonesome Road
Lonesome Road

Otago Rail Trail, Central Otago.
Remote Water TankRemote Water Tank
Remote Water Tank

Otago Rail Trail, Central Otago.
Drybread RdDrybread Rd
Drybread Rd

The Central Otago Region, east of Queenstown, is the dryest in New Zealand. It has equal rainfall as Ulura in Australia's outback. It makes for great wine and interest landscape.
Wine TrailWine Trail
Wine Trail

Just over the crest is the beginnings of the C.Otago wine region. A glass did moisten the mouth after a hot day in the van.
New Vineyard HouseNew Vineyard House
New Vineyard House

In an area like C.Otago, where new vineyards spring up often, New houses like this are built to view your newest investment. Me and Laura have contemplated the possiblilty of making this move. However, you need alot of money to make money in the vineyard business. Shame!
Only Way to DriveOnly Way to Drive
Only Way to Drive

These intrepid Wine Samplers hit the vineyards in this open top Ford Mustang. Good choice.
Peace & QuietPeace & Quiet
Peace & Quiet

This tiny house resides on the banks of Lake Dunstan.


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 18; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb