Biking in the south of New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Oamaru
October 27th 2011
Published: November 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After exploring the little town of Oamaru with it's picturesque whitestone architecture, random op shops and delicious carrot cake we got on our bikes and cycled the windy coastal road meeting the Flying Kiwi bus at our beachside bush camp. The bike ride was awesome - part of it along an unused road impassable by vehicles due to the coastal erosion. Waves crashed to our left and sheep bleated from the endless farmland to our right. Using the cycle route maps provided by Flying Kiwi - within a couple of hours we reached camp.

We pitched our tent with a view across the bay and part of the group went off on a tour to see the yellow eyed penguins. After chopping a few veggies and having a natter with fellow cook group helpers we headed off or a lovely long walk along the sandy beach. Due to the tiny population of this area and our remote location our footprints were the first in the untouched golden sand. We kept an eye out for blue penguins and spotted some beautiful paua shells as we walked in dusky light.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb