Mystic Mounds of Moeraki


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Moeraki
February 16th 2013
Published: February 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Moeraki after leaving Dunedin. The train station in Dunedin is great as the entrance hall has been pretty much preserved as it was when it was built. It's all glazed tiles and mosaics floors, which has been well looked after. The exterior of the building looks good too. Apparently they have a fashion show in Dunedin where the models walk the length of the train station using it as a cat walk and people sit in the train which is parked in the station, bit different wonder if it will catch on in London????

Also visited the Botanical gardens which were really well looked after although a bit past theie best seasonally. Made my way to the Octagon, the centre of Dunedin to sample a delicious pizza sitting in the sun with glass of perry. What could be better!!

Moeraki is a tiny little hamlet about forty five minutes from Dunedin and about 35kms for Oamaru. I came upon it by chance and its just lovely, it has the same feel that Maketu had about it, it's very laid back and sleepy, peaceful. And friendly. I was going to spend one night here but it seems I may be here a little longer its hard to tear yourself away. On the beach there are these weird stone which look a bit like a concrete sphere initially, apparently they are made in the same way a pearl is except with mudstone. Initially a piece of stone of bone or wood would be found in the core and the rest just builds up over time. Quite amazing, there are quite a few of them in the cliffs apparently then when erosion takes place the rock relinquishes the round balls to the beach!! How cool is nature.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb