Dunedin and many tours


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Dunedin
August 26th 2006
Published: September 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Dunedin and home


GoreGoreGore

World Capital of Brown Trout Fishing
After leaving Invercargill we headed back northeast towards Dunedin. Once we got to the east coast we headed back south a little to make a side trip to Nugget Point in the Catlins. This was just a point that had rocks jutting up out of the water like gold nuggets. Very cool looking place. It was also a location to see penguins but we would have needed to wait tell late afternoon/evening which was a good 6-7 hours away. So we headed back north to Dunedin. In Dunedin we started of with a tour of the Cadbury World. It's an international chocolate company. It was cool in the fact that we got lots of chocolate and that it smelled really cool but it sucked because none of the machines were running. All we saw was a bunch of stoped machines. The part that made it really annoying is that when we called for reservations for Sunday they said the factory part of the tour is not done on Sunday so it's cheaper but we could do it on Saturday when the factory is open. So we paid more to see the factory...only the factory was not moving but it was open. If you can't tell they agitated me. Arrgg.

After that we went over to the Stieghts Brewery Tour; they didn't fail me. They showed us everything there and the history of beer and how they are one of the only 3 or 5 breweries that is still gravity fed meaning that its a tall building that they put the ingredients in at the top and do all the steps on floors below them one floor per step in order. After the tour we tasted their beers which seemed darker than the Monties. They also had a chocolate beer which was chocolaty but more of the bitter and dark chocolate than a milky chocolate. They let us just pour our own their after the first glass while we watched all thier TV ads on a screen. After the tour was done we headed over to the Ale house for dinner. We did a deal package for the tour and dinner at the ale house for $50. The meal was great. Started of with an entre (apitizer here) then a main then desert. I had a seafood chowder with a hunk of bread then black cherry chicken then cheese cake. An it also came with a 12 oz. beer. By the time desert came we just asked for it to go because we were stuffed. Headed back to the backpackers fell asleep and woke up in the morning with cheese cake for breakfast. Before leaving Dunedin we went to see the worlds steepest steet. Steep enough to need stairs instead of a sidewalk. We walked up it since our car would proably not make it. After that we just cruzed on back to Christchurch.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Making BarrelsMaking Barrels
Making Barrels

They had a display of how they did things in the olden days from making the barrel to the end.


Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0995s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb